Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Help determining value

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Help determining value

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
If it were me I'd just sell it as is and get what you can for it, or take it out and shoot it and see how it performs.

It will never have much sale or trade value, but if it shoots who cares, just keep it and enjoy it.
Exactly.

I think he said it's sub-MOA with 180g factory ammo.

That, plus controlled round feed, makes it an excellent hunting rifle even if it doesn't carry a high street price or turn out to be a collector's piece.

As such, it's probably worth a whole lot more if a buyer was to shoot it first and see for themselves.

-- richard
Old 06-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Just a thought.. . Are you absolutely sure it's a Mauser action and not an 03 springflied action?

A good many 03 springfields were sent to the Chinese Army during WWII.

In the thirties the Chinese did however produce their own version of a Mauser so it could be either.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...idproduct=1310

You might email the guy at the link with good pictures of the markings and ask him about possible value.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Bronze Member

The markings on the crest of that chiang kai-shek mauser in the link are exactly the same as the receiver of mine. I did email him and ask. Thank you for the link. I will let u know what i get for a reply.

At this point i will probably take the advice given and just keep it for a hunting rifle. It is lighter than my other rifles and shoots nicely as well. Just dont really need another hunting rifle but o well.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosajpo View Post
The markings on the crest of that chiang kai-shek mauser in the link are exactly the same as the receiver of mine. I did email him and ask. Thank you for the link. I will let u know what i get for a reply.

At this point i will probably take the advice given and just keep it for a hunting rifle. It is lighter than my other rifles and shoots nicely as well. Just dont really need another hunting rifle but o well.
When you get a report on the history of the action, print it up and keep it in the gun cabinet. Someday it will mean something to your kids and grandkids.