Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Help building my plan of attack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Help building my plan of attack

I'm a Savage guy. My vote goes to building off the Savage action. You should invest in the barrel, stock, and trigger. If you can score at least the 5-15 3200 Elite go for it. The 4200 Elite Tac would be my first choice. The barrel you have in 7mm is going to be accurate. Your distance will be determined by the ammo you have access to. I would suggest looking into Hornady Superformance, HSM, and Black Hills. Those will all be loaded with the correct bullets for long range hunting. They can be a little pricey depending on the distributor or bullets used.

Midway USA has trigger assemblies for that rifle. Look into the Rifle Basix or the Timney. Both are great options and relatively inexpensive. When you can do it, up grade the barrel to an after market, but I can guarantee it will be a shooter. Break it in properly. Look for a stock on stockystocks.com.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-14-2011, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

I would take the most accurate of the two, as long as it holds MOA, put a decent scope on it and burn the OEM barrel of it practicing and then upgrade to a custom barrel once you can put it to work. I would work with the Savage since you can add accuracy components like stocks, triggers or barrels as you go on your own, and start reloading now!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

the savage build is a good idea because he can do it himself. and like reloading a piece at a time. would start with scope and that 5-15 is good clear scope i have one and a couple of the 4200