Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Help building my plan of attack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Silver Member

Help building my plan of attack

LR wannabe that's new around here but been lurking for a while and reading all I can on this site. I have two guns to choose from to start rebuilding and I'm looking for advice on how to proceed.

The first gun is a M70 300 WinMag, cut down wood stock, with VXIII 3-9x40 w/var obj. This has been my primary gun that I've hunted with and killed numerous elk and deer with over the last 10 years, but never beyond 300 yards. Last year I purchased a Bell&Carlson stock for this but never got around to putting it on and believe due to the particular M70 with a two piece floorplate that I have, needs some additional aftermarket parts to make it fit.

The second is a Savage 110 with composite stock and a 3-9 Bushnell 'sportview' junk scope on it. This was bought as a package years ago and I believe it was purchased before the Accumark trigger came into production.

Bearing in mind that money unfortanately is an issue and would like to do this as wisely as possible and as economically as possible, I believe that I have a couple of options. Also bearing in mind that for now, I'll be shooting factory ammo.
1- Get the M70 fitted to the B&C stock and get take the scope over to Leupold (they're right down the street practically from where I live) and get the CDS dials installed and see what I can do with that gun.
2- Get a new scope of the Savage and perhaps a new trigger and see what kind of a shooter this gun is. Then perhaps a new stock and barrel if need be. The nice thing about this option is that I have a friend inside Bushnell that can get me a sweet deal on their Tactical scopes which seem to get pretty decent reviews for the money (certainly no NightForce but seems to be decent place to start).

Thoughts?

Also, I've joined the range that's close by and they have plain old sandbags available but I know there's better options out there for building a solid rest. Suggestions for that?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Help building my plan of attack

i can't tell what cal the savage . i can't tell what you want to shoot besides elk and deer. you will get various suggestions. here is mine. sell both get a sendero or winchester laredo in cal of your choice . 300 wm is a great one. add a break. add a 6.5-20 leup . adjust the trigger . go shoot and have some fun. add reloading equip as fast as you can.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

The Bushnell elites are really pretty decent optics. I would not hesitate to put one on a hunting stick and go hunt!

Gary
Old 01-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Silver Member

The Savage is a 7mm. That probably would have helped!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diriel View Post
The Bushnell elites are really pretty decent optics. I would not hesitate to put one on a hunting stick and go hunt!

Gary
Gary - the bushnell sportview as tha the poster his a light inexpensive scope made in the 70's . 29$ then. my brother and i had a half a dozen of them. they are not suite able for long range hunting. the bushnell elite is a fine choice. especially if he can't get a leup . roninflag
Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

I fully agree about the $29 bushnell scopes. The reason I had (3) Tasco 3x9 Mil Dot's at one point was because (2) bushnell ultra ceapies and (1) Simmons Aetech died on me.

I have heard mostly good things about the Elites however.

Gary
Old 01-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

i over looked the part where he can ge t a deal on them. i have 3 4200s and one 3200 . i lke the ones i have. Black - the 7 and 300 are close balistically. also you could spend a lot on factory ammo trying to get a factory barrel gun to shoot. you already have some "spare" parts thus my post above. one good gun that works. they last a long time.