Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Bronze Member

help

heres my problem, i'm right handed left eye domit, i mean i can close my right eye and not my left so i shot left hand not to bad but when it comes to shooting a bolt action rifle its a bit ackward, what can i do about this./.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Gold Member

Re: help

You mean you can't physically close your left eye? Are you shooting a left handed rifle? A left handed gun may improve the ergonomics.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Gold Member

I'm the same way, born right handed became left eye dominant due to a surgery on the right eye. So if I want a bolt action rifle I normaly have them built LH, I currently have 7 LH bolts, 4 are full house customs, 2 semi customs, and 1 bone stock.
if ya wanna fix your problem prepare to spend some cash.
RR
Old 11-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Silver Member

Funny, I am the same way left eye dominant so therefore all my rifles I shoot left handed but right action. All the stocks are either ambidextrious (A5's etc.) or custom left handed with right action fit. Been doing it for 40+ years so anything else seems awkward
Old 11-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

My son is left eye dominate and I have a cousin that is the same way and they both shoot left handed and use right action rifles. They are both very fine marksman and can chamber a load as quick as anyone. Donít worry about it itís no big deal.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 11-08-2008, 06:19 PM
SPONSOR

I've made some weaver style bases for guys just like you. They are a little bulky for a sporter rifle but they do work. It's a one piece base that screws fast to the top of the action same place as the regular bases would go but extends 3" to the left. This is where the weaver style rail is machined. The rings mount on same as usual only the scope is sitting 3" to the left of the action. Now you can shoot right handed but use your left eye to look through the scope.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 11-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Gold Member

I am right handed but left eye dominant. I get around this by closing my left eye when I shoot, this is with a rifle or shotgun. The left eye dominance is only a problem if BOTH eyes are open.
I know closing one eye is not recommended when using a shotgun, but it does help.
Some of the competition shooters will wear glasses with a cover over the eye they need to close, I think is to stop muscle fatigue when shooting for a long time.

Hope this helps,

Stu.