Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2007, 08:13 PM

help

OK guys, I have a problem, the more I learn about LRH the more I really learn what I still don't know! This is my latest confusion, my leupold scope has the BDC and out to 700 yards I can hit a paper plate.(remember I'm new to this) Some of you have helped with a drop chart and it is correct for my bullet/scope at different ranges up to 700 yds. at home. My problem is when I go to a higher elevation I am hitting high. Should I just run a drop chart for the new hunting elevation and turn/click back to the new drop chart numbers or try and make a chart to attach to the knob somehow? or am I still lost or missing something? My scope specs : 1 click = 1 MOA

thanks, Kevin
Old 03-16-2007, 08:20 PM
SPONSOR

Re: help

Take the BDC off and replace it w/the standard elevation knob. Shoot it @ the hunting elevation out to 700 yds. Record your results in MOA and make a chart. It's that simple.

The BDCs are great, for one set of conditions. Take it off and learn to think in minutes and you'll be able to adapt to alot of different conditions.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

i have one comment and one question.

my comment is welcome to long range hunting. it gets fun out past 700!

my question is what scope do you have that moves one MOA with each click? seems a bit much.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:06 PM

The scope is a Leupold LR/T M3, 3.5 x 10 x 40 mm the M3 dials have the 1" for elevation and 1/2 for wind.

thanks, Kevin
Old 03-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Kevin,

What part of LA are you in?

You elevation change results is as it should be. That 1"/click is a bit of a bummer. If it is 1" @100 that would make it 10" @ 1K and 7" @ 700.

Usually when going hunting from say low elevation (LA) to a high elevation (CO) the first thing done is to check zero at a decent distance. From that you can adjust the drop chart for that elevation.

I'd make a new drop chart for the higher elevation. If you go there often it would be great practice.

If you go from high elevation to low elevation then you had best have worked up a load at a reduced powder charge. The boys in TX are running a few grains lower to get the same velocities as we in Idaho due to pressure. Plus the bullet BC is a bit lower down there.

Just some tho'ts.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

Don't take this the wrong way cus I'm no expert on that Leupold scope, but if you have a long range tactical m 3 scope, it will have much finer adjustment than that.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:47 PM

Thanks Roy, with the setup I have that may be the only option. I may need to do as Bill Bailey said in the earlier post and change knobs. I am just outside Baton Rouge, LA.

Britz, this is the cam I ordered for the scope. At the time it seemed the better choice, less clicks to dail in! You are right that most M3 comes with finer adjustments. Live and learn.
thanks, Kevin