Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Hello

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2005, 02:59 PM

Hello

I am new to shooting and do not know very much about it and would like to learn as much as possible. I am alooking for a 308 bolt action with muzzle break, In savage or remington my price range is about 500$. I hope that I can get some info from here.

Thank you very much..
Old 11-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hello

Welcome to long range hunting. The info you are looking for is all through the history of this site. Feel free to play with the search function while you are waiting for replies. The weekends are a bit slow here since it is hunting season everywhere and many of the guys here are probably looking for their game as we speak.

I would give you a answer more relevant to your question but I just snuck on for a peek between jobs. A good answer would take me a while to type up.

Hang tight, answers are on the way.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I am new to shooting... am alooking for a 308 bolt action with muzzle break, In savage or remington my price range is about 500$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to LRH. There is a fountain of info here. As 4kd said use the search function. Takes a bit of getting used to but kind of opens the door to bunches of stuff.

RE: the $500 part. Keep your eyes open, stroll the gun/pawn/sporting goods stores even gun smiths. Rem or Savage are good choices. 308 is a good choice. The muzzle brake, I'm not sure of. Most rifles w/brakes reduce the recoil to about that of a 308 or so.

I don't think a brake is necessary on a 308 no matter what bullets you shoot + it adds better than a 100 bucks to the cost of the rifle. W/the 308 I feel that optics are more important than a brake. I'd put that on the back burner for awhile. I'd just as soon not use one, they don't have much of a macho factor, but on larger caliburs they make them more comfy to shoot.

Have fun and keep shootin'
Old 11-07-2005, 03:43 PM

I am sorry for the change in guns but I am now looking for a 708 savage. I was told that the 308 and the 708 where about the same and I was wondering how much you all knew about them and what you thought about them both side by side. Thank you for the info.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

Usually a gun and cartridge are selected based upon the end use. You will probably get better advice from all of us if you spend a little time telling us where you hunt and what it is you want to hunt.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:16 PM

what I plan to hunt is hopefully deer and elk. I do not think that I will take shots any further then 300 yards.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:17 PM

what I plan to hunt is hopefully deer and elk. I do not think that I will take shots any further then 300 yards. I will be hunting in Oregon.