Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Heart beats bouncing scope How to stop?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 AM

Heart beats bouncing scope How to stop?

I have a good breathing routine. But my heart thumping causes my scope to bounce. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Heart beats bouncing scope How to stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCH View Post
I have a good breathing routine. But my heart thumping causes my scope to bounce. Does anyone have any suggestions?
When I shot competition I allways shot on an empty stomach to minimize this effect(The heart beats
slower and has a lower pressure than after eating). Also lower the power of your scope to help reduce the pulse effect.

I am assuming that you are shooting prone, if so sometimes your position can be changed to help
reduce the effect. If you are right handed while laying on your stomach bring your right knee
up a little to take the pressure off your stomach and that can also reduce the pulse effect.

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Gold Member

You're going to have to give us more info about your shooting position before we can be of much help. Offhand, sitting, prone? Bipod, bench, rear bag, sandbags, etc.?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Gold Member

Think about baseball? Oh wait, wrong sport.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:32 AM
Silver Member

i have that problem all the time and the best solution i have found is to imagine my wife telling me about her day out shopping with her freinds and about all the cute outfits she bought.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.heart rate drop to 12 beats a minute so i have plenty of time to shoot between each one
Old 05-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

Square breathing. It's also known as Combat breathing, but they're essentially the same thing. Instead of just inhaling and exhaling, both of these techniques involved inhaling, pausing, exhaling, pausing, etc., throughout the cycle. Done properly, it noticeably lowers your heart rate and gives you longer respiratory pauses. Very commonly used among compteitive shooters, and has the added benefit of calming your nerves and just slowing you down in general. Been doing it for years and it truly works wonders.

For what it's worth, most competitive prone shooters (especially smallbore prone shooters) literally time their shots between heartbeats.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogger01 View Post
i have that problem all the time and the best solution i have found is to imagine my wife telling me about her day out shopping with her freinds and about all the cute outfits she bought.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.heart rate drop to 12 beats a minute so i have plenty of time to shoot between each one
That cracked me up!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!