Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Had a minor setback!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Gold Member

Had a minor setback!

while doing the breakin on my 7 Allen mag I was working on getting it on paper. Well I can't make zero at 100 yds. My Xotic USS which has according to the makers, 105 MOA of elevation ran out of "down" with a 20 MOA ken farrel base, Guess its the high IOR rings. I'm 5.5" high at 100 and the elevation turret is on the stop.
JS
Old 03-24-2006, 06:03 PM
Gold Member

Re: Had a minor setback!

ouch! that sucks...good luck, post some groups when you get that going..love to look at groups!
Old 03-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

No problem. Take your targets out to 500 yards and resume testing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] You're not really going to shoot the 7mmAM at only 100 yards are you?

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

James:

Sounds kinda strange. That's gonna put you zeroed somewhere around 500 yards plus, depending on bullet and load. With your setup you should be able to get down to where you want to be with only a 20 moa base. I'm using a 20 moa base on mine and I could get down to a 100 yard zero easily if I wanted to.

One thing you don't want to do is to have to run the elevation all the way to the bottom.

Are you sure that when you bedded the base that you didn't inadvertantly get some unwanted additional base tilt via the bedding process? Might be worth checking just to be sure.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Gold Member

I have a 40 moa base on my rifle with a IOR it only has 50moa internal and i can get to the 100 target with ease.
Like ss7mm says, there maybe somthing wrong with the base or rings. Are the rings totally down all the way in the base. Just maybe the scope is fubar?
I put lots of nightforce with 100 moa on rifles and with 40moa bases they have no trouble sighting in at 100. Recheck everything.

Good luck

"Let the good times roll"
Old 03-24-2006, 10:48 PM
Gold Member

I'll check it out, it does seem strange, I mounted the scope with erector tube centered, and bore sighted, and had to go down close to 20 MOA so I thought it would be fine, I'll double check the bases and rings.
JS
Old 03-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Gold Member

ok, thanks all, I found a small problem, if that fixes it, I'll tell ya how stupid I am!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
JS