Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Gunsmith woes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Gold Member

Re: Gunsmith woes.

If you can't, won't or do not think it is a great idea to re-profile the barrel: fine. When I say turn it down and I will be back in three weeks any honest person in the world should say "wait a minute, That is a bad idea". We need a new plan...... If you say "OK" and three weeks later say "to bad I don't do the work you wanted but now you owe me for this other work"..................BULL Sh!@#..... I like the savage platform primarily because of that nut : I have to deal with a barrel maker and/or machinist either way but not necessarily with a horses ass gunsmith. Clearly not all gunsmiths are that way but I have met some real arrogant twits in this industry. Even made the mistake of paying ridiculous money and long waits for a piss poor job that I=(average joe) had to redo myself do to quality........ OK............ Got a pass for the smiths on the right side? Check...... Made my point about arrogance, lack of communication and general fraud? Check..... Proudly professed my love of the barrel nut head space system? Check. OK.....rant over.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter2678 View Post
Well, to be honest I wouldnt have known the true accuracy of the barrel in the first place since its never been shot so I wouldnt have had anything to compare it to. Secondly, I figured for the small amount of material that I wanted taken off the OD of the barrel, that it would not create an issue or degrade the barrel's accuracy. Apparently not even a few thousandths is safe according to him. He mic'd the barrel and said its perfect as it stands now and if he turned it down he could gaurantee it would not mic the same again after that. I now understand that better after talking with a few other people who make a living in that line of work. I also didnt have the option of cherry picking other Kreiger barrel countours at the time I bought it either. This was the last one available from midway and I snagged it for better or worse as I wanted to switch from a 22-250 to a 6BR. This was a no brainer IMO & saved me a 6-8 month wait. I was able to get a little more information during the day yesterday on him as I called a few of the old timers that shoot with us. They all told me a little more about his MO and their past experiences with his work. They were all on board with him and have had nothing but superb results with his work. I finally had a lengthy discussion with him yesterday afternoon directly and we hashed things out after about 10 mins so he'll continue as he planned on my rifle. Told him he did a much better job at explaining his reasons this time than the first go around thats for sure. Guess this field/varmint gun is just gonna be a little heavier than I initially planned (sigh) at least it will be as accurate as possible & thats a trade off I'm willing to accept at this point.

I am glad you got everything worked out to your satisfaction with your Gunsmith.

The communication between Smith and Customer is often the problem with a Custom build and
can be avoided with lots of time spent discussing the build.

Never seal the deal until everyone is on the same page and you know what you will get.

Maybe your Smith was having a bad day when you first talked to him (Some have lots of them)
or was in a hurry and didn't have time to explain everything in detail (But should have).

Each smith has there own likes and dislikes based on experiences they have had and tend to
feel comfortable doing things there way and if you ask them to go out of there comfort zone
they will probably try to talk you out of what you want.

As I stated earlier I do what the customer wants or turn the job down (Simple) if I feel the
end results will damage my reputation or produce a poor product.

I know it's hard for a new shooter to know whats best sometimes and he relies on the smith to
steer him in the right direction. It is his obligation to explain the ups and downs of a build
and help the customer make the decision.

Good luck and happy hunting.

J E CUSTOM
Old 09-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
If you can't, won't or do not think it is a great idea to re-profile the barrel: fine. When I say turn it down and I will be back in three weeks any honest person in the world should say "wait a minute, That is a bad idea". We need a new plan...... If you say "OK" and three weeks later say "to bad I don't do the work you wanted but now you owe me for this other work"..................BULL Sh!@#..... I like the savage platform primarily because of that nut : I have to deal with a barrel maker and/or machinist either way but not necessarily with a horses ass gunsmith. Clearly not all gunsmiths are that way but I have met some real arrogant twits in this industry. Even made the mistake of paying ridiculous money and long waits for a piss poor job that I=(average joe) had to redo myself do to quality........ OK............ Got a pass for the smiths on the right side? Check...... Made my point about arrogance, lack of communication and general fraud? Check..... Proudly professed my love of the barrel nut head space system? Check. OK.....rant over.
I hope you are better now, now go out shoot your rig, it'll make you feel even better.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Gold Member

Well gotta admit it does look better without the darn barrel nut. Its a honker of a gun now with this 1.25 no taper kreiger tube @ 28"..bead blasted, .269 neck and a gorgeous recessed target crown. Full action job as well. Should be a shooter.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Gunsmith woes.-0905121255.jpg   Gunsmith woes.-0905121241.jpg  

Gunsmith woes.-0905121240.jpg  

Last edited by Hunter2678; 09-06-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:47 AM
Silver Member

i want to see some groups.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreign View Post
i want to see some groups.
Me too man...my buddy just finished the bedding job on it and is ready for pickup today. However, its looking like the maiden voyage to the range this weekend will be full of rain and wind..dammit!!
Old 09-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Silver Member

a rifle should be able to be shot in rain shine or snow.. got out there