Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Gunsmith woes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Gunsmith woes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
The reality is if he did turn down the barrel, and fit it as you requested, and the guns accuracy suffered, You would then complain to whom? Yourself? the smith? or the barrel maker?

Krieger would not warranty a barrel that was contoured after it left there shop.
It was your request to turn it down, but the smith who did the work would most likly get the blame.

Your best option was to sell the blank and get one that was the correct contour from the manf.

All quality barrel makers contour the blanks before they are lapped and most countour the blanks before they are even rifled.

He should have turned you down, and I don't think SSS is doing you much justice by honoring your request, unless your OK with the potential accuracy issues that may come about from inducing/releasing stress into an already finished product.
Well said Jim!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Gold Member

That does look alot better and much cleaner Feenix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
I had a similar request but after my gunsmith explained it to me, I followed his recommendation ...

The barrel is a Lilja 1.25" OD, 30" long, and .750" at the muzzle. As you can see I went nut-less and am very pleased with it.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:37 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
The reality is if he did turn down the barrel, and fit it as you requested, and the guns accuracy suffered, You would then complain to whom? Yourself? the smith? or the barrel maker?

Krieger would not warranty a barrel that was contoured after it left there shop.
It was your request to turn it down, but the smith who did the work would most likly get the blame.

Your best option was to sell the blank and get one that was the correct contour from the manf.

All quality barrel makers contour the blanks before they are lapped and most countour the blanks before they are even rifled.

He should have turned you down, and I don't think SSS is doing you much justice by honoring your request, unless your OK with the potential accuracy issues that may come about from inducing/releasing stress into an already finished product.
Well, to be honest I wouldnt have known the true accuracy of the barrel in the first place since its never been shot so I wouldnt have had anything to compare it to. Secondly, I figured for the small amount of material that I wanted taken off the OD of the barrel, that it would not create an issue or degrade the barrel's accuracy. Apparently not even a few thousandths is safe according to him. He mic'd the barrel and said its perfect as it stands now and if he turned it down he could gaurantee it would not mic the same again after that. I now understand that better after talking with a few other people who make a living in that line of work. I also didnt have the option of cherry picking other Kreiger barrel countours at the time I bought it either. This was the last one available from midway and I snagged it for better or worse as I wanted to switch from a 22-250 to a 6BR. This was a no brainer IMO & saved me a 6-8 month wait. I was able to get a little more information during the day yesterday on him as I called a few of the old timers that shoot with us. They all told me a little more about his MO and their past experiences with his work. They were all on board with him and have had nothing but superb results with his work. I finally had a lengthy discussion with him yesterday afternoon directly and we hashed things out after about 10 mins so he'll continue as he planned on my rifle. Told him he did a much better job at explaining his reasons this time than the first go around thats for sure. Guess this field/varmint gun is just gonna be a little heavier than I initially planned (sigh) at least it will be as accurate as possible & thats a trade off I'm willing to accept at this point.

Last edited by Hunter2678; 08-30-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter2678 View Post
Secondly, I figured for the small amount of material that I wanted taken off the OD of the barrel, that it would not create an issue or degrade the barrel's accuracy. .
In the gunsmith/machinist world .195 is not a "small amount of material" . Any metal removal can induce stress, that is why most folks prefer to keep it to a minimum. I do agree that he should have turned the job down on the spot though. No reason to keep you waiting for something you didn't want.

Bob
Old 08-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
In the gunsmith/machinist world .195 is not a "small amount of material" . Any metal removal can induce stress, that is why most folks prefer to keep it to a minimum. I do agree that he should have turned the job down on the spot though. No reason to keep you waiting for something you didn't want.

Bob
Yeah I know that now.
In all fairness, thinking back to that point in time, I assumed it could be turned down a little bit to my specs but I also assumed that he could do that and be fine with it so I went ahead with the midway order. I was pressed for time on finding a new barrel quickly. Obviously hindsight is always 20/20 & this is one of those times when making "assumptions" negatively impacted my intended results.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter2678 View Post
Well, to be honest I wouldnt have known the true accuracy of the barrel in the first place since its never been shot so I wouldnt have had anything to compare it to. Secondly, I figured for the small amount of material that I wanted taken off the OD of the barrel, that it would not create an issue or degrade the barrel's accuracy. Apparently not even a few thousandths is safe according to him. He mic'd the barrel and said its perfect as it stands now and if he turned it down he could gaurantee it would not mic the same again after that. I now understand that better after talking with a few other people who make a living in that line of work. I also didnt have the option of cherry picking other Kreiger barrel countours at the time I bought it either. This was the last one available from midway and I snagged it for better or worse as I wanted to switch from a 22-250 to a 6BR. This was a no brainer IMO & saved me a 6-8 month wait. I was able to get a little more information durig the day yesterday on him as I called a few of the old timers that shoot with us. They all told me a little more about his MO and their past experiences with his work. They were all on board with him and have had nothing but superb results with his work. I finally had a lengthy discussion with him yesterday afternoon directly and we hashed things out after about 10 mins so he'll continue as he planned on my rifle. Told him he did a much better job at explaining his reasons this time than the first go around thats for sure. Guess this field/varmint gun is just gonna be a little heavier than I initially planned (sigh) at least it will be as accurate as possible & thats a trade off I'm willing to accept at this point.
For future reference you might try these guys for a barrel, large selection for sure.
Southern Precision Rifles :: Bugholes.com
Old 08-30-2012, 08:48 AM
Gold Member

Yeah I remember checking that link and multiple others at the time for availability of new tubes, but nothing had the twist rate or countour I was lookin for. Thanks for the reminder though as Ill keep that site BM'd for future use.

Quote:
For future reference you might try these guys for a barrel, large selection for sure.
Southern Precision Rifles :: Bugholes.com

Last edited by Hunter2678; 08-30-2012 at 09:28 AM.