Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Gunsmith woes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 07:09 AM
Gold Member

Gunsmith woes.

So I took my new Kreiger 6mm tube & savage short action to my local & well known central Ohio gunsmith for install 3.5 weeks ago. Upon our agreement then, the gun was scheduled to be finished this week. Long story short, I made a quick status call to him yesterday afternoon and was surprised at what I heard. One part of my 5 point instructions were to turn the barrel down to 1.055 OD end to end with no taper so i can set the barrel back if and when I get throat erosion. The blank has a raw OD of 1.25. He told me that he was going to leave the original OD as is as it would compromise the overall accuracy of the barrel. I said to myself WTF did he just say?! Not only that he was going to do away with the barrel nut on the gun too. Now this guy has been in the business for over 35 yrs and told me he's shot enough bench rest to know it will affect the barrel's accuracy no matter how much coolant you ran on that thing when turning it. I explained to him that first off that OD will not fit into my existing HS stock without some serious channel work that I didnt want to do. Not only that I didn't want the extra bulk since it will be a field gun primarily and I also didnt like the fact that he was doing away with the barrel nut to headspace and turning it into a non savage configuration. I dont know if he felt rushed, doesnt have the equipment anymore or he's losin his marbles, but for a guy with his reputation he blatantly ignored my work request's & that has really changed my mind about him. Nice guy but I wont be goin back to him as this was a serious red flag Thankfully a quick call up the road to sharp shooter supply has remedied my issue. Has anyone else run into something similar over the years with a well know and established smith ? I still cant beleive what I heard him say.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Gunsmith woes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter2678 View Post
So I took my new Kreiger 6mm tube & savage short action to my local & well known central Ohio gunsmith for install 3.5 weeks ago. Upon our agreement then, the gun was scheduled to be finished this week. Long story short, I made a quick status call to him yesterday afternoon and was surprised at what I heard. One part of my 5 point instructions were to turn the barrel down to 1.055 OD end to end with no taper so i can set the barrel back if and when I get throat erosion. The blank has a raw OD of 1.25. He told me that he was going to leave the original OD as is as it would compromise the overall accuracy of the barrel. I said to myself WTF did he just say?! Not only that he was going to do away with the barrel nut on the gun too. Now this guy has been in the business for over 35 yrs and told me he's shot enough bench rest to know it will affect the barrel's accuracy no matter how much coolant you ran on that thing when turning it. I explained to him that first off that OD will not fit into my existing HS stock without some serious channel work that I didnt want to do. Not only that I didn't want the extra bulk since it will be a field gun primarily and I also didnt like the fact that he was doing away with the barrel nut to headspace and turning it into a non savage configuration. I dont know if he felt rushed, doesnt have the equipment anymore or he's losin his marbles, but for a guy with his reputation he blatantly ignored my work request's & that has really changed my mind about him. Nice guy but I wont be goin back to him as this was a serious red flag Thankfully a quick call up the road to sharp shooter supply has remedied my issue. Has anyone else run into something similar over the years with a well know and established smith ? I still cant beleive what I heard him say.
We haven't heard His side of the story, so I wont pass judgement.

He should have done what you wanted "Or" not taken the job.

When ask to do something I dont believe in or something that Is unsafe I simply turn down
the job, And no ones feelings are hurt.

I make it a habit of not trying to talk someone into something they did not want because
they will never be 100% happy, and after spending that much money it should be fun and
the owner should be excited about his new toy.

I believe In eliminating the barrel nut, BUT that would defeat your purpose and is not what
you wanted.

The most I would do in a situation like this is explain what the benefits were and let it go
at that.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Gold Member

Well JE he wouldnt go into details with me other than saying that it would deteriorate the accuracy. His side or not, my request wasn't an unusual or unconventional one, in fact it was about as basic as you can get with minimal material removal & a no taper/countour for a smith with his means. For the time and $ involved in things of this nature its amazing to me that a GS would deviate so dramtcially from the customer's request and not give a call to update a change in plans. I plan to talk to him some more when I go pick up my parts from him today. Something just doesnt jive here.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Silver Member

My gunsmith won't re-contour a contoured barrel either. And he doesn't accurize savages???
Every 'smith has his quirks about what they will or won't do. It kinda sounds like there was just a communication break down between both of you.

Hey now, one time i reached down to pet a little dog and it was a 5lbs squirrel - Si Robertson
Old 08-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

I had a similar request but after my gunsmith explained it to me, I followed his recommendation ...

The barrel is a Lilja 1.25" OD, 30" long, and .750" at the muzzle. As you can see I went nut-less and am very pleased with it.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like you might be dealing with a pompous azz to me. Customer is always right. JohnnyK.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

The reality is if he did turn down the barrel, and fit it as you requested, and the guns accuracy suffered, You would then complain to whom? Yourself? the smith? or the barrel maker?

Krieger would not warranty a barrel that was contoured after it left there shop.
It was your request to turn it down, but the smith who did the work would most likly get the blame.

Your best option was to sell the blank and get one that was the correct contour from the manf.

All quality barrel makers contour the blanks before they are lapped and most countour the blanks before they are even rifled.

He should have turned you down, and I don't think SSS is doing you much justice by honoring your request, unless your OK with the potential accuracy issues that may come about from inducing/releasing stress into an already finished product.