Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Gun,scope and Caliber for a newbie?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Silver Member

Re: Gun,scope and Caliber for a newbie?

If you are just starting out with longer range target shooting I would try to find a good used .308 that already has a good scope. This should be an easy find and will save you money, money that you can then use to feed your new rifle. If you are already a seasoned shooter looking to start long range hunting then please disregard my post. I kind of got the impression from your post you might be new to this. Even myself, I try to keep recoil to a bare minimum unless I have a specific reason to endure it. Case in point, I am going out this morning to hunt woodchucks and I am taking my 223.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post
If you are just starting out with longer range target shooting I would try to find a good used .308 that already has a good scope. This should be an easy find and will save you money, money that you can then use to feed your new rifle. If you are already a seasoned shooter looking to start long range hunting then please disregard my post. I kind of got the impression from your post you might be new to this. Even myself, I try to keep recoil to a bare minimum unless I have a specific reason to endure it. Case in point, I am going out this morning to hunt woodchucks and I am taking my 223.
I have to disagree with that. 500 yards is really easy to do but shutting down elk or moose at those ranges is a job for a magnum and a muzzle brake if recoil is an issue. Of course the 308 could do it if everything was perfect but it's a bit riskier than it should be and 500 yards is really easy with a 300 mag, not as much with the 308.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

If you aren't scared of a fixed power scope look at the SWFA SS scope. I have one on a .308 and it'll do anything I need at 880 on paper and anything closer on prairie dogs and coyotes. A fixed 10 power is plenty out to 500 in my opinion. I'm running their 5-20 on my 300WM. Its way better optics than the price would indicate. Also, I've been a long time Remmy fan but recently bought a couple Savages. If you stick with the LR obsession, the savage will be super easy to upgrade, change calibers, and accurize.... To a point. Try an accu-trigger model before you buy anything. If you like it, as a lot of ppl do, it'll save you money from buying an aftermarket trigger.

Last edited by dieselboy427; 03-09-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Silver Member

D.ID - I agree with you, I thought the original poster was new to LR and I did not want to see him beat up on a target range with heavy hunting loads. There is lot to learn with rifle shooting/handloading, at least I have found it to be that way.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:20 PM

I think I'm going with a Tikka T3, going to shoot my friends first before I decide.
Ive shot 500 yards with my remington 7400 (308) and a Bushnell trophy scope that cost $50 used so I'm not sure why every is saying to spend more than I do on my gun for a scope.

I did find a nice Leupold 4.5x14 with target turrets for $150 I think its a varix iiii or something like that.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Gold Member

A Leupold 4.5-14 with target turrets for $150? Buy it now. If you don't like it - you can sell it to me. Ha!
Old 03-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

The reason to spend good money on a scope is repeatability. At extended ranges, most shooters "click up" or "dial up" using the turrets (adjustments) on a scope. A lot of the cheaper scope can make a shot but returning to zero after the shot is where a lot fail. A good scope will do this every time repeatably and return to zero. Also dialing for windage every time and returning. Accuracy is nothing without repeatability.