Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Gun oil??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Gun oil??

The army is still using CLP, I think they have some sort of deal with them were they get a percent on the profits from them selling the stuff because we use it. Thats all you here when you go to qualifications is use CLP, don't forget your CLP. Anyway CLP is crap when it comes to cleaning but it does a good job keeping your barrel from rusting. I like using Shooters Choice solvent and Rem Oil, they keep my barrels looking new.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Bronze Member

In my rifles I use Kroil oil as it is very light and it also penertrates to give good coverage. The excess appears to be easy to remove before shooting. I also read recently a 50:50 blend of Kroil and Hoppe 9 Solvent is recommended so i my give that a try.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

KQguy,
I have been using a 50:50 mixture of Kroil Oil and Marvel Mystery Oil for years. One patch, about half saturated with this mixture and then about three or four dry patches to clean it out. That Kroil is low viscosity stuff and really gets into the pores. I use it on my CM and SS barrels during break in. They seem to clean up much quicker once seasoned, especially the SS barrels. JohnnyK.