Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Guidance needed - Sendero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 09:53 AM
Bronze Member

Guidance needed - Sendero

Good morning all. I will apologize in advance for the lengthy note. Im not experienced enough to make an informed decision on my own so I am looking for some guidance to help point me in the right direction.

I have a new Sendero SFII in 7mmRM that I am working up loads for. I had purchased this new in 2009 and I finally got around to putting a Leupold VX3 4.5x14x50 w/CDS on it this past January. I did a break-in procedure on it (instructions from Wipeout) and I have been working up loads using Sierra Gameking 160 grain spitzer boat tails and Berger 168 VLDs. I have attached a pdf that shows the typical groups I have been getting.

This is the first rifle I have owned that has really given me groups that are consistently around that half inch to three quarter inch range at a 100yds and I dont want to mess it up (thats why Im posting here with my questions).

At the last range session I fired about 25 rounds. At the end of this session my cheek bone was starting to hurt. I also noticed that the recoil causes the rifle to bounce off the bag so much that in the follow thru the target was no longer in my view (barrel typically finishes pointing left and above the target in a 10 or 11 o'clock position).

I have been researching muzzle brakes and I thought perhaps adding a brake (I was looking at Gentry) would be of benefit to manage the recoil because I really enjoy practice shooting. I had also considered having the stock/action glass bedded at the same time (both items to be done by local smith). My thinking was that the glass bedding could possibly help tighten up groups with the Bergers.

I showed my target groups to a friend of mine and he said that adding a brake or doing bedding could possibly ruin the accuracy by changing the harmonics of the barrel and he recommends that I leave as is (as you know this is easier said than done....this stuff is addicting).

I dont want to do anything that would negatively impact the accuracy potential here. This rifle will be used for elk/deer in Idaho and I would like to work myself up to the point where I can be proficient out to 500 yards.

So Im hoping that folks experienced with muzzlebrakes can chime in and let me know if adding a brake could destroy the accuracy I have. Also based on the groups that Im getting do you think it would be worth it to take it in for glass bedding.

On a side note this rifle really seems to like the Gamekings and RL 19 which is great and I dont think the temperature sensitivity issues would impact much between my home state of Michigan and Idaho but I would really like to shrink down the Berger groups. I will be doing more testing this week with Bergers and H1000 and firing at 200 yards. I will be increasing the powder grains to get more velocity. Both the Bergers and Gamekings seem to like seating at .010 or closer.

Any recommendations on the muzzle brake and bedding idea (or anything else) is appreciated.

Thanks. Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Target.pdf (345.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Guidance needed - Sendero

I have no experience with putting a brake on after startling shooting. mine shoot great with a vais brakes installed. mine do real well with re-19 also.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

Congrats on a good rifle. I asked a similar question a few weeks ago on a 300 Ultra Sendero I have. I was directed to Snowy Mountain Rifles, www.snowymountainrifles.com/‎ to install their brake. I have the Vias brake on a couple small calibers but the Snowy Mountain brake is better suited for large bore has the ports out the side and top not all around like the Vias brake. Blows less dirt in your face when shooting on the ground. I'm shipping my Sendero to them. Good luck
Old 03-24-2014, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

We have shot the savage striker pistols with the adjustable brake ( if you call on or off adjustable ) on them and it really didn't make a difference in accuracy for a given load. It was a bit easier to shoot well though with the brake on I suppose. I'd look at a good recoil pad first and if that isn't enough send her in for a brake.
I'm not much for brakes, and only have one of the 11 rifles I own braked.... mostly because it came that way. That said, if you think you need less felt recoil, you probably do.
As to powder temp. sensitivity, that is much to do about nothing if you've shot the rifle and know your drops in the conditions you will hunt in. I shoot more rl than any other brand and I live in North Dakota. I wish there were a magic potion that made everything the same no matter the temp., but even if you can get your speeds the same at all temps., your air density, barrel harmonics, teeth chattering, and a number of other things will be different.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

I would definitely bed the stock of the rifle and free float the barrel. These upgrades will only help the accuracy of the rifle. After doing that, I would shoot the rifle again to test accuracy. I think that your rifle is jumping because you are not loading your bipod. Do you know how to load a bipod? I have the same rifle and I did the upgrades I mentioned and added a jewel trigger. This is one of my favorite rifles. Try loading your bipod.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:06 PM
Bronze Member

I don't have a bipod (yet). I've been shooting off a Caldwell bag. Probably not the best rest but all I have at the moment.

One thing that came to mind today was that because Im using Talley medium height scope rings to accomodate the 50mm objective I'm probably not getting a good cheek weld. Maybe a strap on cheek rest would help with the recoil issues. I see there are some good ones out there. Mike
Old 03-24-2014, 10:14 PM
Gold Member

If your rifle is a sendero, you should have a aluminum bedding block in the h&s stock. Make sure that the barrel is indeed free floating. Then purchase a good muzzle brake. Have a smith you trust install your brake for you. Installing muzzle brakes in the past have increased my accuracy not diminished it. It may change your zero, or tighten a group up but should not diminish accuracy. Here is my 7 RUM sendero with a Assassin brake installed.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Guidance needed - Sendero-image.jpg