Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

GPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2002, 04:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: GPS

Lowrance I-finder
Old 04-19-2002, 07:03 PM
*WyoWhisper*

Picked up an E-Trex ...OH WOW!!
Old 04-19-2002, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Have had my Etrex 2 years now.Works great for keeping track of prairie dog towns.The trackback feature is great,lets you keep track of how fast you are going & how long to destination.Another use for it is a speedometer.The speedo on the oladys SSEI Bonnivile only went up to 115 but the Etrex clockt top speed at 158mph yehaw.
The only drawback I have found is that under a lot of tree cover it doesnt read consistantly & if you rely on it you are lost.Found this out the hard way last fall bear hunting in northern Mn.I have ben considering upgrading to the one with a built in compass=CJ
Old 04-19-2002, 11:20 PM

GPS

What are the good hand held GPS's? I am looking to be hunting in Colorado mountains and would like to find some spots and get back too. Cheapest functional and user friendly. Additionally I would like use it to find some coord sites in the Galveston bay system that a fishing friend will give me.
Thanks. This is my first post.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

I use the GARMIN 12. It's easy to use, has a readily identifiable "GOTO" key and ise inexpensive (relatively). It also has UTM mode for ranging.
Old 04-20-2002, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member

Had my Garmin GPS III for over three years and the only reason I'm getting the new GPS V is for the map downloadable capability mine didn't have. The base map setup is nice. About 100 tracklogs would be nice too if they'd get a clue.

The Duracell Ultra AA's work for twenty hours in mine and the processor in the "GPS V" consumes them at the same rate. The GPS III PLUS has the more efficient processor too but just lacks the pixell count and routing feature so the batteries will last even longer in this one.
Old 04-21-2002, 03:33 PM
Gold Member

The Garmin map 12 is exellent. Same as the 12 but has a map with rivers lakes and roads. worth the extra $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$