Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Going to shoot 500 yards tomorrow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2003, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Going to shoot 500 yards tomorrow

I've been reading (and refraining from commenting) on a lot of threads on other boards about the problems of shooting 500 yards (and further). Well...tomorrow I'll take my latest hunting rifle and loads up to the mountain and fling some bullets helter-skelter and hope to make a few hits. I may try to film the affair and show just how EASY it is to hit a critter sized target at 500 yards...first round hit by the way. There's really no way to convince folks that it's not "short step yardages" or "luck" but perhaps a few folks can be enlightened...it only takes a few converts at a time to eventually win a bunch of folks over.

It sure would be nice to get a few folks together that haven't "been there and done that" and take them along as witnesses....or students.

Anyone else considering something of this sort? Field trial...hunting setup (whatever that may be). Go out of the way to TRY to show that there's no trick photography or target swapping....

Sure seems a shame that folks won't believe what's right before their eyes.... and free to learn just by listening a bit.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:30 PM
*WyoWhisper*

Re: Going to shoot 500 yards tomorrow

Dave,

Actually....

Boyd, Butch and Myself, my guiding partner and his friend from Casper are doing a LR Antelope Hunt in Casper this Sept. I have purposfully invited 3 other guys who have not done any LR hunting!. I will set up their rifles and make sure the rifles are up to the task let them practice at the Cody Complex and then we will take them hunting LR style to capture ALL of it on tape!!
Then Butch and Boyd will try their hand and LR Western Style on the Speed Goats as well. I believe this will be part of his next video.. we are also going to try some real long range PD stuff if the weather cooperates...
I hope in time to use parts of the footage to "prove" that it is capable, safe and ethical for anyone if done properly....
Old 08-22-2003, 04:38 PM
Writers Guild

Dave, good luck with your trip. Saying that LR shooting is not plausible is like saying 40ft putts can't happen. Well both happen with very little to do with luck.

I have had the opportunity to take quite a few shooters out over the last two years to show them LR shooting. Most have been stunned but have been willing to put in the time and effort to make their guns shoot that far.

In fact, one is a lot better then I am right now. Hate when that happens.

When you throw in beliefs, ethics and morals, you can forget about any logical discussion. It isn't worth the effort and nothing ever gets resolved. So for many, I simply accept our differences and move on.

Sort of like abortion, and same sex marriage. No matter which side of the discussion you are on...you are right or at least believe so.

Jerry
Old 08-22-2003, 04:44 PM

And you know what? Long range shooting is loads of fun and practical as well. If you can shoot good at 500, sure makes that 200 yard shot easier doesn't it? I have a friend that thinks a 100-150 yard shot with a .270 is a long shot and he is afraid, uncomfortable, and not confident unless under 100. I am glad he knows his limitations. Good Luck!
Old 08-22-2003, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

Great Idea Dave!

I see so many hunters who have this magical number of 500yards ingrained in their minds. That somehow it is so much harder to hit something at 500 yards, or that their rifle does not have enough power to do the job or their scope does not have enough magnifiction. When really they are just not using their equipments full capability.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

I did the 500 yard thing...got some useful data to 500 for my 6.5 x 284 load. I used computer generated data for the shoot and will adjust (fine tune) off that. They're all fine kill shots...some will argue that I'd have missed a head shot at 400 and 500 (there's always one that's gotta have something to bitch about).

Didn't have time to shoot any more...took my 243 but brought it back un-fired. Too many honey-do items at home to stay away too long (and I want next weekend off).

I'll score and link the target(s) tomorrow.

Hell... changed my mind.

These were shot after being stapled to a 4'x8' ft piece of plywood. The load was 140 Hornady A-Max and 51 grain of H4831, new un-fired Lapua brass.

I didn't have any data for this rifle or load and elected to use the 300 Win Mag 190 Sierra Gold Medal Match come-ups (computer generated @ 2900fps BC .525)... I did this mainly to show that 500 yard shooting is really an easy affair even with "nearly accurate" data. (I know the 6.5 x 284 is about the same in trajectory as the 190 GMM 300 Win...that's one reason I shoot it.) I had a young fella with me...he helped out and ranged the target(s) as we moved downrange... we couldn't get a 300 yard shot and shot from a berm at 325 yards plus or minus a few (I used the 300 yard come-ups anyway). There was a bit of wind... I used .5 MOA Left every once in a while... for 400 and 500 yards there was a double wind, left from about 200 to the target and right from me to about 300 yards...there was a tree line between 300 and 200 and this caused the double wind...there was also a rise/ridge there and at 400 and 500 I shot through a significant mirage (I was shooting very close to the top of the intermediate rise/ridge).

The black circles on this targets are about 1 MOA for the range shot... 3 inches at 300 yards, 5 inches a 500 yards. (other than 300 yards)... no shots were more than 1 MOA from the intended Point of Impact (POI) and all groups were at or under 1 MOA in size. There were no sighters and no re-tries...all shots were fired from "MY" field (hunting) position (bipod and sand sock). The numbers indicating LOW/HIGH LEFT/RIGHT are calculated from the measured center of the three (3) shot group. (No animals were injured in the creation of this data...some fossil fuel was burned, lead an copper were released into the environment. Several insects were smashed beyond recognition and one horse fly was knocked about a bit.)

Here's the targets.

Here's an old picture of the range area...I'm in the impact area in this photo. That tower in the background is just over 650 yards away... the little brown target in the left center of the picture is just about 200 yards away (it's 48 inches tall and 23 inches wide). The little white speck just to the right and up from the 200 yard distant target is 325 yards away...the tree just behind and left of the white speck is right at 500 yards back.

[ 08-25-2003: Message edited by: Dave King ]
Old 08-25-2003, 09:14 AM
Bronze Member

**** Doc you look good at the Mountain. But only 500 yards? Shooting the short range. I did some .338 Lapua shooting last weekend over here. But I only got to shoot 200 yds not meny long ranges over here in Michigan close to me. I did some plate steel shooting to see how the 338 did on it. 12 inch by 12 inch by 2 inch. It took me 24 rd of the 300 bthp to punch a hole throw it at 200 yds. You going to be up at the mountain for sniper II and III?

LeMay OUT