Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Getting started...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 04:06 PM

Re: Getting started...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
Glad to see your jumping in full bore. Wow learning to hunt covers a lot of ground and usually starts when you're a kid when spending time out in the mountains with a shotgun or a rifle in your hand is all you want to do and you have the time to do it. You say you are in the Pacific Northwest so I will assume you want to hunt mule deer and elk.

It's not brain surgery. It really boils down to time spent in the mountains and learning about the animal you're hunting. Hooking up with someone who has been hunting deer for awhile that you trust as you say would really speed up the process. Just concentrate on one species (mule deer) for a few years until you become proficient at it. Learning their habits what and where they prefer to eat, where they are most likely to be at a given time of the year, their migration routes for your selected area and the list goes on and on.

The local biologist will have a lot of good info and the conversation with him is worth the effort then just go out and pound it. When you're not in the mountains looking and learning you should be shooting. It's really frustrating to learn all the skills of finding the buck you want then he gets up and is bouncing down the hill and you can't hit him.

Yeah, I never had the chance as a kid, My dad got out of hunting because my mom didn't want guns in the house. I had asked him if he'd take me with our uncles and he had always skirted it.

Wouldn't I be able to get the conservation info from the local wildlife office? thus the point of the tags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbill View Post
I hope I got my point across about guides in my long winded story. Sorry If I confused you. My point was a good guide can teach you the ropes about places and how animals operate in certain areas. And the animals teach as well. You just need to enjoy and relax, don't we all. Thanks
I'll be honest, you did loose me. But I know guides can be a wealth of info like you said - unless you get one thats just A to B. I've been trying to study topography map techniques, based on the terrain where the animals would make paths, best places to glass, ideal places to set up stands, ...
Old 08-15-2012, 02:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslerGamma View Post
Hey Everyone!!

I'm new to the forum, and would appreciate some advice. I'm a novice hunter - I have never hunted. Im looking at going hunting next season 2013, I've taken the hunter safety course (which helped), have purchased a rifle and am getting a reloader next week. I live in the Pacific North West, From Illinois, and I've always had the itch.

So to the question. I know that its recommended that I go hunting with someone who already hunts, but the problem is that the people that I would trust to teach me to hunt don't want to take a newbie (which I can understand) and the people who would love to take me - I don't necessarily trust (either as an individual or to teach me to do it correctly/tribal knowledge) I'd more or less like to learn it correctly the first time without the bad habits.

I've been studying books and online for years, but I know that only helps a little. I've determined that I'd rather track and stalk than bait and blind.

Would I be better off at hiring a guide?
A good guide can help you learn more in the course of a single hunt than you'll learn on your own in a good many years.

Most of us that do hunt grew up doing so and had lots of knowledge (some accurate, some not so accurate) passed down to us by our elders.

One thing I have enjoyed over the years as part of my own guiding is a good many parents that have sent their kids to me over Christmas or Thanksgiving breaks to teach them what I can since the kids have the interest but the parents lacked the time, interest, or physical ability.

I would think that perhaps here on this forum or maybe on a regional/state forum there should be some opportunities for you to meet up with some folks willing to mentor you along, another would be to take an additional HS course in your area. Failing finding some contacts through either then I'd say it would be well worth the money to take some guided hunts for a few seasons because going it alone can be frustrating, aggravating, often fruitless, and even dangerous depending on the circumstances.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortpants View Post
The only secret there is to hunting is time. Everybody wants to shoot a big one but most don't spend the time. The more time you spend in the wild the more you learn and it never stops. Let the animals be your guide for there is no better teacher. It definitely helps to have an experienced hunter show you the ropes but experience comes from time. Learn what equipment works best in your area and get out there and start scouting. Scouting is hunting.

Enjoy the adventure,
Jason
No question about it, if you have the time and access nothing beats scouting. Even if done in the off season you can spend your time watching and learning the habits and nature of the beasts you seek and it sure beats sitting at home watching the "ball game".