Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Getting Started

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2005, 02:39 AM
Gold Member

Re: Getting Started

I agree with Fiftydriver that the MilDot reticle is superior for what you want to do. Nice thing about a MilDot is that the reticle will always be correct for what you want to do. The B&C reticle for me is much harder to see in poor light, and the factory has picked your drop correction, and it probably won't match for your intended rifle. Learn to use a MilDot and understand it and you won't use anything else! You might check out Bear Basin Outfitters for the terrific prices on Zeiss MilDot scopes. I like Leupold, but would take a Zeiss or Swarovski anyday. Zeiss is the better value and cheaper than Leupold! Good luck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Bronze Member

JD338,

I was recently in your same position of looking for a Sendero in 300RUM. I found a great deal on a 300WM Sendero at a gun show and my gunsmith rechambered it to 300RUM for $75. It was a really economical way of getting the model/caliber that I wanted.

Good luck,

Neal
Old 02-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Silver Member

OK Kirby,
See what happens when you have so much knowledge. You start to over look the important little things that the new shooter may not know. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

So what brands are avlaible and where do you find um? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Just thought I might coax some of that info from ya. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks Ben
Old 02-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Gold Member

Bullseye,

Thanks for the input.
I am curious, how can you rechamber a 300 Win Mag long action to a 300 RUM magnum action? Is this working ok for you?
I am going to my next local gun show March 5 and will be looking for a Sendero in #1, 300 RUM, #2 300 Win Mag, #3 7mm RUM ???
I think 30 cal would be a better choice than 7mm. The 30 cal will fill the void in my gun safe. (I have 22-250, 257 Roberts, 280 Rem, 338RUM, and 35 Whelen).

I appreciate your comments.

Regards,

JD338
Old 02-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Bronze Member

Well, I'll tell you as much as I know, however, a gunsmith like Kirby can add to the discussion I'm sure. The bolt face on the Win Mag and the RUM is the same because the RUM has a rebated rim. The action and magazine length was also long enough to accomodate the RUM. My gunsmith was able to rechamber without taking the barrel off of the action (that's why the cost was so low, if he had had to take the barrel off it would have cost a bit more, although it would have been a great opportunity to have the action trued.) The common barrel twist rate was the same between the two so that worked out as well for my needs.

So far it appears to be working fine. I just had it done recently and have not had time to get it on the bench for accuracy.

Hope this helps,

Neal
Old 02-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Gold Member

Bullseye,

Thanks. I was aware of the rebated rim on the Ultra Mag case. I use the same shell holder for my 338 RUM and my buddies 300 Win mag. I guess I was under the impression that the 300 Win Mag actually used a standard (30-06) long action where the Ultra Mags used the magnum (375 H&H) action. Kirby, can you comment?

Good luck with your Sendero, let us all know how she shoots.
Do you have any loads in mind? What type of shooting do you plan on using your Sendero for?
What are you going to use for a scope?

Regards,

JD338
Old 02-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Shadowman,

Where do you get teh VLD and ULD bullets???

Well, for lower velocity rounds, under 3200 fps in most occasions, Bergers VLD bullets are very quality bullets. In fast twist barrels they just tend to not like things much over 3200 fps in a 1-8 to 1-9 twist barrel.

Hornadies A-Max bullets are much the same way as the Bergers but I call these a semi-VLD bullets. They just do not quite run with a true VLD bullet ballistically. THey do however have better on game performance at long range because their polymer tip initiates expansion better then the HP match bullets.

Again, for over 3200 fps there are better bullets.

Now another semi-VLD design is the Sierra Matchking. Again I call them Semi because some of their designs do not offer true VLD ballistics. Others such as the 240 gr .308 and 300 gr .338 are VLD designs.

The Sierra Matchkings have a thicker jacket then the Bergers or A-Max bullets and will generally accept velocities 200 to 300 fps higher then these other two match bullets.

Personally, from what I have seen testing the Wildcat Bullets, I would use these for any VLD or ULD design. These bullets offer extreme ballistic performance in the ULD family of bullets. One example is the 156 gr Rebated Boattail in .257" that I use in my 257 Allen Mag. This bullet over 500 yards has a B.C. of .810 with a muzzle velocity in the 3100 to 3300 fps range.

Wildcat bullets offers bullet options that I have yet to find from anywhere else. YOu can get +.800 B.C. numbers but in a bullet built with a heavy tapered jacket to perform like a premium big game bullet.

Here is my contact informtion for Wildcat Bullets:

wildcatbullets@hotmail.com

This is where I shop!!!

Good shooting,

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com