Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Getting in to Long range rifle competition.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 06:33 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Getting in to Long range rifle competition.

Quantico Shooting Club (QSC) has "modified" F class matches (shoot what you brought) and official F class matches, open to all.

Civilians can get on list to join the QSC by going to their website and filling out application. For every two military(active, retired, reserve etc) they are allowed one civilian. Look at their websites for match schedules and POC info.

BH
Old 10-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member

Ian- I didn't realize you from western PA. I'll be pretty tied up for the winter as far as shooting goes, but if you want to get together this spring and do some shooting I'm all for it. LR hunting seems to be pretty rare over this way so it would be nice to find someone local to shoot with too.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmason View Post
Ian- I didn't realize you from western PA. I'll be pretty tied up for the winter as far as shooting goes, but if you want to get together this spring and do some shooting I'm all for it. LR hunting seems to be pretty rare over this way so it would be nice to find someone local to shoot with too.
Can I come? can I come? Then y'all (that's southern) could come down and shoot Quantico.

Quantico "modified f-class' matches are great fun. Totally informal so you can learn a lot from the guys around you. Club membership not required.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .280fan View Post
Can I come? can I come?
I believe your beyond the point of needing to ask as far as I'm concerned
Old 10-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Silver Member

Next modified F-Class at Quantico will be Nov 8th.

All are welcome, and it's a great venue for new shooters, since you don't need specialized equipment and coaching is allowed. Along with another couple regulars, I habitually lend out rifles for new shooters to try this sport and coach too.

From near P'burg, I'd also suggest following the Reade Range match schedule.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Gold Member

I hope to attend the nov 8 modified f class match but still need a little more information, if anyone could send me a link or just a pm with the starting time cost, sign up sheet etc. This would be my first match of any sort. I will be shooting my glass bedded rem 700 in .308 win wearing a falcon menace 4-14x44ffp. Is this enough scope? Also how can I practice? I own 200acres in Virginia (well my parents, I'm only 15) where I can shoot out to about 300yards, maybe more if I can find some other shooting lanes. I will most likely be shooting 175grain smks over rl15 in lc brass and cci br primers.

Any help would be much appriciated, just trying to get as much information as possible and everyone here has such a wealth of it, every little tidbit i get i'm very thankful for.

Thanks,
Oliver Lottermann
Old 10-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Oliver:
PM me and I'll be glad to answer whatever questions you might have. Because it's deer season, I wont' be at the match. Although it sounds like eshell will be there though. So I recommend you PM him. He's a great guy and will do his best to work with you and teach you all he knows.

Let me tell you what comes to mind right off the top of my head....

You've got a good rifle, with good optics (14x is enough to shoot 1k. I've shot 1k with a fixed 10x). The only issue might be your scope set up. You will need about 38moa 'up' to be able to shoot 1000 yards. You can determine that by zeroing your rifle at 100 yards, then turning your elevation turret and count how many minutes 'up' you have. If you don't have enough elevation, you will want to get a 30moa canted base or use the Burris Signature Rings with the offset inserts. In the alternative, if you have a mil-dot scope, you will be able to use a combination of turret adjustment and the dots. I know that's a lot to digest, PM me with any questions.

Shooting a 308, 175smk with RL15, that's a good load (I've shot 175SMK with 44grains of RL15 and my current load is a 175VLD with 44.5 RL15). If you happen to know your muzzle velocity, that will be helpful to those trying to get you on the target at 800 yards. Don't worry if you don't know. Anybody there will be able to get you on the target.

If all you've got is 300 yards to practice, then use it. Put up small dots and try to hit them. Concentrate on the fundamentals of shooting.....breath control, trigger control, making sure you have the same cheek weld every time.

You can find directions to the range at www.quanticoshootingclub.com Generally speaking, registration will begin at 0830 and shooting will generally start around 0900. Cost is $35 payable in cash at registration. There are no forms to complete. Because you're 15, you might need a parent/guardian with you. PM ehsell with that question - he will probably know.

Here's a thread where eshell provides a good list of gear to bring to the match. The only thing I will add to the list is to dress appropriately and generally speaking, overdress. You can always take a layer off if you get too warm. I've been cold on that range and nothing makes you miserable like being cold. Also, if you even think it's going to rain, bring rain gear. I shot a great match in the pouring down rain. Quantico 9th Modified F-Class match October 4th - Maryland Shooters

That's a good start. PM me if you have any more questions.