Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Getting in to Long range rifle competition.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Bronze Member

Getting in to Long range rifle competition.

Hello I am new here Iíve been shooting rifle for a good many years and never had the chance to get involved in long range rifle competitions tho I always wanted to I figure its now or never I'm looking to do F class or other similar not BR or Palma tho I donít have a set up for that. problem is and the question I am posting in this thread is I can find almost no information to even register for this in my state I can only find a few articles that focus more on what the matches are about and the gear to use etc that being said I know that I am going to have to travel quite a distance being that the only 1000 yard range in pa I know of is about a 4 hour drive away from me and most of theses competitions are probably not in pa thankfully I live right next to a 300 yard range that I practice on frequently with reduced targets. I still have a lot to learn but I am willing to put the time money and effort in to this so if there is someone that can help me out and point me in the right direction from my state any info would be appreciate.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:43 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Getting in to Long range rifle competition.

Welcome to the forum Ian.

There are a few places that offer F-Class matches that are within driving distance. Quantico, VA, Reade Range in Tyrone, PA, Thunder Valley, Ohio just off the top of my head. I know that Thunder Valley was recently leased, but they will still hold informal tactical and F-Class matches.

There are a few guys on here from PA that have shot at Quantico, and report that the environment is informal and fun. I'm sure they will chime in and give the specifics.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member

Actually, you're in a good area for this. Williamsport is the original 1000 yard benchrest club, and will be a good resource for you, even if you don't want to try BR. It's worth the drive to get to talk to the guys there and make contacts with the 'smiths in your area. Beyond that, take a look at some of the Palma or LR matches, as F-Class shoots are frequently held in conjunction with these. I just came back from Raton, NM and the Spirit of America match. Palma match, but they had several firing points for F-Class competitors on the line, and they fired concurrently with the other shooters in the match. Call the NRA, or look them up on line (the competitions division will have all the info you need here) for matches, dates, and the persons to contact for each.

Good luck, and welcome to the game!

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
Old 10-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Russo View Post
There are a few guys on here from PA that have shot at Quantico, and report that the environment is informal and fun. I'm sure they will chime in and give the specifics.
I'm north of Pittsburgh over here and I drive down to Quantico for the modified F-class. It's a good friendly environment. You just show up for a scheduled match and pay $35 to shoot.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quantico, Reading PA are in your AO as mentioned.

Pretty sure you can forget Thunder Valley in Ohio. They were sold to a tactical org that is moving all of their training there and full schedule planned for that. Seriously doubt if you will ever see open time for matches there again from what I hear.

Oak Ridge TN, Camp Butner NC (just above Raleigh) are some others.

Go to long range target shooting forum and look at that for F class ranges. All the top F class guys hang out there.

BH
Old 10-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Bronze Member

Hey thanks every one for the replies with your info I was able to find Reade range which offers f class BR and palma so they got a varied bunch that I can hopefully acquire knowledge from and its probably the closest to me at 2 hours drive from east Pittsburgh any one here have any experience there.
Out of curiosity To shoot at Quantico donít you need to be in the military or know some one whoís a member there to get in
Old 10-15-2009, 04:02 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

You can shoot there as a civilian. jmason and Bountyhunter have.