Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Free recoil vs hard hold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 05:26 AM
Silver Member

Re: Free recoil vs hard hold

I'm no expert at this - still learning as I go.

As I try to get the hang of my bipod technique I'm finding a firm hold is working way better.

As BB says - I'm trying to lean into the rifle, preloading the bipod a little and at the same time pulling the rifle into my shoulder a little with the left (weak) hand. I've not had much success with trying to pull too (light is ok) hard with the strong hand (the problem it seems moves to the strong side shoulder and chest).
Old 05-20-2009, 04:31 AM
Bronze Member

When shooting pistols in competition I had a firm hold as you had to control recoil to quickly line up the next shot.

When shooting my rifle I am more relaxed. It's been my experience that a tight hold introduces more movement.

Just my experience,

Dee

www.sevenoakshunting.net
Old 05-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member

If I cannot shoot free recoil, with the rifle basically riding the bags not even touching my shoulder,.....then it is in a white knuckle death grip. I have gotten a lot of training from a very respected BR shooter. He says do whatever works for you. It did not take me long to learn that for me it is either full on kung fu death grip or touching only the trigger. I exaggerate slightly, but I do hold the big boomers very firmly.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
If I cannot shoot free recoil, with the rifle basically riding the bags not even touching my shoulder,.....then it is in a white knuckle death grip. I have gotten a lot of training from a very respected BR shooter. He says do whatever works for you. It did not take me long to learn that for me it is either full on kung fu death grip or touching only the trigger. I exaggerate slightly, but I do hold the big boomers very firmly.

I should. Mine hurts. I can put a pretty good grip on it at short range, and all is fine. Long range I can't relax enough to hold the target well. The only way I can hold the target is to fully relax and talk myself into letting the rifle smack me. It's pretty much a mental wrestling match.

Steve