Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Free float Weatherby Vangaurd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 10:43 AM

Free float Weatherby Vangaurd

I just bought a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock with aluminum pillars for a 30-06 Vangaurd. I thought I would free float the barrel by eliminating the preasure points. Now that the preasure points are gone I can not get the action to seat tight. When I tighten the front reciever screw the barrel just keeps going down until it hits the stock. It is going so far into the stock that the front of the barrel is over half way covered by the stock and looking very akward. Have any of you free floated a Vangaurd in a medalist stock with better results? P.S. - I am very novice at this kind of stuff, so open to all coments.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Before you go to removing anymore material for the forend of the stock I highly suggest that you bed the action because if the barrel steadly sinck as the action screwews are tightned that mean that the action is not seating in the stock
Old 02-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Bronze Member

I was able to do a pillar bedding with the Boyds stock because it was wood.....I'm not sure of the process of doing it with the alum pillars of the stock you have.

I don't know if the material I used would work (marinetex). From what I understand it will work with wood, metal, plastic, but I don't know if the prep work is the same. That and I'm sure you got that stock because you didn't want to mess with the bedding process.

If you were to just put in the back screw does it seem to be fine? The area where your lug goes into the bedding may be too deep. Letting the barrel keep going into the stock.

Is the stock synthetic or wood?

.................................................. .....................
I'd rather be hunting with Uncle Ted!
Backstrap fever!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:16 AM

The stock is synthetic. I am not against bedding it, especially if it will solve the proplem. Yes I believe the lug area is to deep. Would I be able to fill this area with bedding compond and help my situation.
roundss - Did you do this to a Vangaurd? Did it help any?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Bronze Member

Short answer yes. I will PM you the longer answer, the process I went through. The only concern that I have is that your stock is synthetic and the bedding area is metal. I'll shoot you a PM. James is absolutely right, don't take out anymore material out of the forend.

.................................................. .....................
I'd rather be hunting with Uncle Ted!
Backstrap fever!