Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

First trip out with the Tommy..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2003, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

First trip out with the Tommy..

.. Just for the record.. This rifle is now officially dubbed "John-Henry"..
.. A few things popped up even before going to the range. First being that this is a real long rifle.. (By my standards,anyways..) It won't fit in any of my aluminum cases.. But if I screw the muzzle brake off it'll fit in this old Doskosil(sp?) hard plastic case.. I can't use my Harrell's press for this cartridge so I modified my Hart table (Drilled two holes in it.) and made a bracket with two threaded holes in it that match up with the inlets in the Rockchucker.. Now my Rockchucker is officially portable.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
.. I tried finding the lands with 180BT's, 200 and 220gr MK's with no success.. DC says to quit whining and go shoot it.. It did OK with the 180's.. Great MV..!! (As a side note, this puppy throated for mid range 30's would make a helluva varmint vaporizer.!!) But they shot just OK.. The 200's did a lot better and the 220's did OK as well.. Most groups were in the .75ish range (A few were worse. A few were much better..) and I ain't holding that against it as this was more of a fiddle-farting introductory range session just to feel this thing out.. Nothing even close to anything orderly or scientific was attempted.. All groups were three shots @ 100 yards as this rifle is a big toy and not meant for competition.. Just hoggin' and maybe some deer later on..
.. Recoil was, IMO, very minimal with this KDF muzzle brake.. It felt about like my old 22-250AI w/VLD's.. After one cleaning session I forgot to put the brake back on and now I have a little reminder across my nose that will hopefully not need to be refreshed any time soon.. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] If I had my d'ruthers this rifle would weigh a bit more.. ( I understand DC had it built to conform with Penn. BR standards.)
.. With these larger rifles I will need to do some design modifications on my top.. No biggie..
.. All in all I had a great time and look forward to more trigger (AHEM) time with it.. Some 240's will be enroute today and that will be the focus of the next trip.. This trip I only had the one pound of the H1000, some 180's,200's and 220's.. The next trip I'll be fully set up with some WC872, proper shellholders and some bigger bullets.. It will be a great day when someone (anyone) besides Remington makes brass for these RUM cartridges.. (Then I can bitch about the price..) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
.. Loved the NightForce and look forward to playing with it afield..
.. More to come... d:^) JiNC
Old 05-05-2003, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: First trip out with the Tommy..

Hello Jake

Sounds like your on your way to working out problems on the bigger cases.

With what you wanted to do, the 180s at extreme speed, may very well work fine.

Chris had some super groups with the 240 gr bullets when he got the rifle.

It will reach out and touch something, trust me.

later
DC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-06-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 05-05-2003, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

Jake,I shot my 16.5 pound 300 Wsm in the heavy gun class without the brake sunday...........NOTE TO SELF....Letting the gun without the brake on it free recoil is a bad idea [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2003, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

Hey Boyd.. It ain't no PPC.. That's fer sure..!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Holy smokes.. The 240's are $162 at Sinclairs. Is that the only source for these.?? Thanks.. JiNC
Old 05-05-2003, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

Jake,
sounds like you're off to a great start. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
What length bbl on that again? Is it nose heavy in your Versa Rest, my dad had to modify his and lengthen it as it wanted to nose over the front with his 30" bbl 6.5wsm.

Boyd,
are you shooting the 240's in the 300wsm in competition too. How's it doing so far? I looked, and the last thing I saw from the stats was both guys using them were doing "very" well. Good luck, both of you.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:12 PM

Jake--Shop around--I think they were going for $135-$140 at Midway last month. Some of the guys here may be able to help you out with a few bullets-- I only have a few left right now. Good Luck--CJ
Old 05-05-2003, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

Brent,I am shooting the 210 JLK's in my wsm..The first match was sat.Won my relay in Light gun with it....Shot 11.5 in some very bad winds.Small group of the day was 10.5.So shes pretty close.Shot it sunday also in heavy gun....It shot 11.3 with an 86 score on sunday...Was'nt gonna shoot it sunday.But my heavy gun broke with 3 minutes to go in my sighter period and I did'nt have any time to fix it....So I ran and got my light gun screwed the brake off and had time to shoot 1 sighter.Still shot an 86 [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ 05-05-2003: Message edited by: Boyd Heaton ]