Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

First time Long Range Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Gold Member

Re: First time Long Range Rifle

Ive emailed my friend several time today and his mind is set against any 7mm's Not sure why, I did ask him but have not heard back. He just said that he is not interested in a 7mm especially the 7mm WSM. He does not like the 6.5mm at all either. He is convinced that for LR Deer Hunting the best one is the 30-06 Not interested in a Remington 700 action.
I told him to consider the Remington 700 Sendero......................................No comment
Old 06-06-2014, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

the 30/06 would be perfect for what he needs tell him to look at TC Venture 30/06 mine is sub moa with numerous loads

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...
Old 06-06-2014, 09:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
Ive emailed my friend several time today and his mind is set against any 7mm's Not sure why, I did ask him but have not heard back. He just said that he is not interested in a 7mm especially the 7mm WSM. He does not like the 6.5mm at all either. He is convinced that for LR Deer Hunting the best one is the 30-06 Not interested in a Remington 700 action.
I told him to consider the Remington 700 Sendero......................................No comment
Well I guess to each his own. Kind of seems like he's been stuck on a 30-06 from the beginning. But once you're at 30-06, might as well just jump to a braked 300 RUM!
Old 06-07-2014, 06:35 PM
Gold Member

I got an email from my friend and he wanted to know why anyone would want a 300 WSM Thought that it was a stupid Idea..............................

He is still convinced that going from a 22" barrel to a 24" will make a rifle much more accurate and easier to sight in...............??????????

I feel that if he wants any more info he needs to go someplace else...........
Old 06-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Gold Member

He seems like one of those guys your not going to convince into anything, I would let him decide for himself and when he needs advice tell him you can't help him....

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...
Old 06-10-2014, 12:34 AM
Silver Member

If he wants a Savage in 30/06 try the 116 FCSS w/ 22" barrel. It is the Weather Warrior series and will do 400 yards no problem. Talk scopes with him but his choice of caliber and rifle is about fixed. The 30/06 is a great round and will hammer a deer at 400 yards with pretty reasonable drop.

All of the magazine comparisons where they do shoot offs put the Savage at the front of the pack for factory rifles. Not that a up grade barrel on another action won't do better but the Savage is at a good price.

Really any of the recommended cartridges will work but a scope is a big part of the picture too. 12X at least, 50mm front end, 30mm tube for adjustment range and stiffness, quality glass and rings to match. Talk him into spending a bit on the top end of the rifle. He's already made up his mind on the rest.

KB
Old 06-10-2014, 07:40 AM
Silver Member

Have him take a look at Red Hawk Rifles, I have 2 of them and they shoot great!!