Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

First time Long Range Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 11:56 PM
Gold Member

First time Long Range Rifle

I have a good friend who wants a Long Range Deer Rifle and Im having a hard time stearing him away from a factory Savage rifle. Right now he seems bent on getting a .270, does not want to hear anything about the .280 but keeps looking back at the 30-06. However, for him 400 yds it the longest yardage he will consider shooting to.
I've told him to spend the $$ and order himself a Cooper Rifle but he just keeps going back to a factory Savage. He is frustrated because the Savage 111 he does have wont give him groups of .5 or less at 100 but groups that are at best 1.5 at 50yds...............Im about to just tell you do what you feel you want to do .
Not sure what to say to him.........................However what recommendations in Cartridge would you recommend IF you were only going to hunt for Deer...........
Old 06-06-2014, 12:36 AM
Gold Member

Re: First time Long Range Rifle

For a dedicated deer rifle, I would consider the following cartridges for 400 yard max, in the order I would choose them:
7mm-08
280 or 280 AI
6.5 x 284 (or any 6.5/260 cartridge)
243 win
(for no logical reasons, I've never been a 270 guy)

I would personally never make a 400 yard dedicated deer rifle .308 or bigger. Also cannot imagine fully expecting 1/2moa with any factory rifle. You can always get lucky and some are very accurate right out of the box, but to me it seems like you've gotta bring more to the table to guarantee 1/2moa. I like the "do it once, do it right" approach.

I seem to always get into similar conversations with some of my friends. Most of the time I can show them energy #'s or other kinds of tech data to steer them in a particular direction, but other times it's just a waste of breath. Last year had a friend all ready to get a nice elk rifle, and then ended up buying some budget POS used winchester with a plastic stock, topped it with ziess optics. His best groups ended up no better than 4 inches at 100 yards, and that was after spending over $250 on every different kind of factory ammo he could find in stock. I was literally stunned at the decisions he ended up spending money on.
Borden Timberline 300 Win Mag - Hart 26" #4 fluted - McMillan A3 Edge - Jewell Trigger - ATACR
Old 06-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Gold Member

Spend the money for a good barrel for his Savage. I would do a 6.5 or 7mm for a deer only gun. There is nothing wrong with a .270 except the bullet selection for LR if he works up to it unless he does a 9 twist to shoot the Matrix VLD's.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

since i am older, life is too short to shoot ugly guns.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=roninflag;959823]since i am older, life is too short to shoot ugly guns. cooper model 54 is an attractive one
Old 06-06-2014, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
I have a good friend who wants a Long Range Deer Rifle and Im having a hard time stearing him away from a factory Savage rifle. Right now he seems bent on getting a .270, does not want to hear anything about the .280 but keeps looking back at the 30-06. However, for him 400 yds it the longest yardage he will consider shooting to.
I've told him to spend the $$ and order himself a Cooper Rifle but he just keeps going back to a factory Savage. He is frustrated because the Savage 111 he does have wont give him groups of .5 or less at 100 but groups that are at best 1.5 at 50yds...............Im about to just tell you do what you feel you want to do .
Not sure what to say to him.........................However what recommendations in Cartridge would you recommend IF you were only going to hunt for Deer...........
The last two Savage factory rifles I played with were a 30-06 and 6.5x284, tuned up the action screws and both shot 1/2 MOA with what the owner wanted. The 6.5x284 was really nice. The 270 will do anything the 280 will, if your elevation is enough you can shoot the Matrix 165 from a 1-10 easily but for 400 yards we use them for elk and deer all the time with a 140 Berger, the 270 or 6.5 are my go to calibers though I really like a 250 Savage!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Silver Member

Is your buddy going to reload or shoot only factory ammo? That will be a big consideration on the cartridge. Maybe explain how rare 1/2 MOA factory rifles are without a boatload of load workup. Probably the easiest route would be a 308 which has a plethora of match ammo to choose from and many proven loads to start with if reloading.