Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

First semi-build for me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 08:59 PM

Re: First semi-build for me

A friend of mine just bought a 7mm mag. Sendero. His first time shooting it he had similar problems. He could not get the round out at first either. His seems like an extractor issue. Once he got the spent round out with a cleaning rod he cleaned it very good and the round would come out just not eject. I am wondering if with the RUM and a higher chamber pressure and more surface area it got jammed in there worse then his.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Bronze Member

Well hopefully it works out for ya. You'll probably get it done faster than us Alaskans, being some far away from lower 48. My guess is its a headspace issue, but I could be wrong. Good luck!!!!
Old 11-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Bronze Member

No problem, I hope it all works out. Enjoy that new caliber when you get it back,its a screamer.( not has fast has the 30-378 but still fast). I'll post some pictures when the rifle is done. Have a good one.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Bronze Member

well why i am sulking about waiting for my sendero to get back late season opened here today and i have a just turned 13 yr old daughter who i just bought a Howa 1500 .243 youth/adult combo for on her birthday the end of Sept. I put a 4X12 Leupold on it for her. It shot surprisingly very well easily under a inch at 100. Anyway late season opened today and she shot a nice fat 5x4 whitetalu buck this morning and she was so pumped. It is contagious I was just as excited as her. I didnt take a gun today as i told myself if i did and we saw a big whitetail i would have shot it. It was funny it snowed the last couple of days and it was cold this morning we saw a few bucks before she shot the one she did. She passed on a smaller 4x4 i thought for sure she would shoot. She shot the one she picked out this morning at 160 yds and when i gutted it for her the heart was in several pieces. Needless to say she was happy and i was one proud daddy. She shoots my 257 WTBY a good bit to and she shoots it way better then her older sister and mom for sure... BTW she is the one in my signature picture that was her at 10 yrs old with her first whitetail she shot with my .44 carbine.

When i get the sendero back i will put up some pics of it.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Bronze Member

Sweet, very nice buck for the young girl!! Dad's gotta remember to let them have some fun too. Well gonna be awhile till my rifles done, but she is I'll post some pictures. I'll talk to ya later,tell me what happens with the Sendero, little curious on what they say was the problem.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Bronze Member

I'm just waiting for my action now. So did Remy ever get ya squared away on your Sendero? I'm itching to start my custom but the most important part not here yet( driving me crazy).. Also gonna try something new, my father I law did some research and is gonna order a new reamer for me to try out. It's a 300 RUM match reamer, so now I got to wait a little longer, should increase the accuracy. Well figured I'd put a bug in your ear about your Sendero.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Bronze Member

Well i am bad i ended up with a second 300 RUM Sendero. I had a buddy at work whos in law got one and didnt like it he said it kicks to much. So i bought that one to. I am going to end up converting one to a 7 MM STW or something my little hunting buddy (aka 13yo daughter) can shoot as well. I havent heard back from Remington but i havent checked either. My daughter and i started hunting coyotes and have been having a blast. Heck today is Christmas and we shot two this afternoon she smoked a big male at about 225yds of so with her little howa 243. We have taken 20 coyotes so far this winter. I have this thinking i am getting 20 bucks a dog and he comes and picks them up. So i have saved every cent i think i am going to let coyotes pay for my scope and brake for my sendero :-)