Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

First rifle: Advice needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 08:46 PM

First rifle: Advice needed

Hi all, the usual story for me. Long time reader first time poster.

I am after my first rifle. I have shot my brothers rifles for many years but want to get my own now.
I'm a lefty shooter so straight away choices are slim. Add to that I am after a do all rifle.
I have been wanting a .240 wby mag, 243wssm or .257 Roberts but all must be custom made in lefty form.
I have the opportunity to buy a brand new Weatherby MK5 Accumark for almost half price. The thing is it is in 270 wby mag. I feel that's a little too much gun for me and my hunting style.
Q: Can I rebarrel it to .257wby mag or even smaller?

Q: should I just keep looking for a suitable rifle.

I was thinking of having just 1 rifle but with the 270 wby mag being so big maybe I need a small game rifle as well. Perhaps a .17hmr or similar.

I look forward to everyone's input.

Thanks in advance.

Will
Old 01-25-2014, 02:03 AM
Platinum Member

Re: First rifle: Advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyogle View Post
Hi all, the usual story for me. Long time reader first time poster.

I am after my first rifle. I have shot my brothers rifles for many years but want to get my own now.
I'm a lefty shooter so straight away choices are slim. Add to that I am after a do all rifle.
I have been wanting a .240 wby mag, 243wssm or .257 Roberts but all must be custom made in lefty form.
I have the opportunity to buy a brand new Weatherby MK5 Accumark for almost half price. The thing is it is in 270 wby mag. I feel that's a little too much gun for me and my hunting style.
Q: Can I rebarrel it to .257wby mag or even smaller?

Q: should I just keep looking for a suitable rifle.

I was thinking of having just 1 rifle but with the 270 wby mag being so big maybe I need a small game rifle as well. Perhaps a .17hmr or similar.

I look forward to everyone's input.

Thanks in advance.

Will
If that rifle shoots well and fits you I'd jump all over it. It's not a caliber that I'd choose but with the newer high BC bullets available in .277 it can be a great long range rifle for just about everything short of Elk and with the right bullet and proper placement of same it could easily handle them as well.

If you decide to pick up a second rifle for varmint hunting look at the .204 Ruger in the CZ 527. Fantastically accurate and a lot of fun to shoot as well as inexpensive to shoot.

When the time comes, you could rebarrel the Accumark in just about any caliber of your choosing with a similar case rim easily and even in a different rim with a new bolt.

The Accumark is known to be a very accurate rifle right out of the box so it's a great place to start especially if you can pick one up for roughly half of the price of a new one.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member

I can't tell what you are shooting at. the accumark has a good reputation. is it left handed??
Old 01-25-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
I can't tell what you are shooting at. the accumark has a good reputation. is it left handed??
Sorry, I should have mentioned that.
It is left handed.

I mainly hunt red deer, wild pigs, wild dogs and smaller.

Cheers, W
Old 01-25-2014, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

Kyogle, I purchased a .270 Wby. Mark V last summer. After working up a load for it (sub-MOA) I have found it suits all my needs. I have decided to use it as a primary rifle for deer and as a backup for my 30/378 Wby. for elk and backup for my .257 Wby. for javalena and coyotes. If you get a good price, jump on it!
Old 01-25-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosh View Post
Kyogle, I purchased a .270 Wby. Mark V last summer. After working up a load for it (sub-MOA) I have found it suits all my needs. I have decided to use it as a primary rifle for deer and as a backup for my 30/378 Wby. for elk and backup for my .257 Wby. for javalena and coyotes. If you get a good price, jump on it!
Thanks for the info.
It is actually a custom order rifle from the factory and about half the price of an off the shelf mk5 lefty.

Comes with full die set and 50 Norma brass as well.

Last edited by Kyogle; 01-25-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:34 AM
SPONSOR

A Weatherby MK V Accumark for about 1/2 price,,,,,,,, my first thought would be "what's wrong with it that I can't see?". I've never had to lower the price of a left handed rifle to move it, and as a general 'rule of thumb', a lefty will bring a higher price than a std. right hand model. Yes, there are some new high BC .277 bullets, but those bullets need more than a 1-10 twist (which the Wby has) to stabilize. You were thinking about having only one rifle? I'd recommend therapy.