Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

First LR rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 10:34 PM

First LR rig

I have decided thatís it is time to build a dedicated long range rig. I am now having a hard time deciding on some of the components. I am going to be building this on a Savage action. Now, here is where I am having trouble deciding. Since the gun will be chambered to 338 Edge, I want to go with a 30'' barrel. 4D Reamer rental has Criterion and McGowen and offer almost any taper I want and can even throat the chamber long. The other choice is to go with Shilen and am limited to standard savage contours, but I have heard that Shilen is top notch. Which one do I go with? Since this gun will primarily be used for target practice with the possibility of hunting in the future, I was thinking a #7 contour?
The other decision I am having troubles with is the stock. I like the McMillan tactical stocks but I am having a hard time choosing which one. I am gravitating toward the A-5 or A-2, what are the pro's and con's of both? I really liked the A-3 sporter but I would be limited to a #5 contour.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

Re: First LR rig

You can choose any barrel you want and have a good smith chamber thread and crown. Brux produces great products.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post
You can choose any barrel you want and have a good smith chamber thread and crown. Brux produces great products.
Yes but then the cost goes up significantly. I want to stay under 400.00 for the barrel.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

the barrel is one of the most important parts.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecanadian160 View Post
Yes but then the cost goes up significantly. I want to stay under 400.00 for the barrel.
Then you are looking at a pre-fit barrel. IMHO, I would take the McMillan off the list and substitute something like a B&C or Stockade stock and spend the extra money on the barrel. If you don't have the ability to do the machine work yourself plan on spending $600.00 - $650.00 minimum on the barrel.

Like I said just my humble opinion !

Bob
Old 02-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecanadian160 View Post
For ~$650 Pac-nor can thread/chamber their barrel ($282-$332 for 30") and true your action ($300) ...

https://www.secure-crt.com/pac-nor.com/orderform.html

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
Then you are looking at a pre-fit barrel. IMHO, I would take the McMillan off the list and substitute something like a B&C or Stockade stock and spend the extra money on the barrel. If you don't have the ability to do the machine work yourself plan on spending $600.00 - $650.00 minimum on the barrel.

Like I said just my humble opinion !

Bob
I agree that the barrel is one of the most important components in a gun build. That being said, if money were no option I would go with a Hart barrel like I have on my hunting rifle, very accurate. However, with my funds being what they currently are, I dont see spending $800.00 on a barrel that will only last me 2 years. So my original question stands, should I go with the McGowen, Shilen, or Criterion barrel?