Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

First long range gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 05:47 PM

First long range gun

Newbie here. I'm looking to customize my first long range weapon. I have a Winchester M 70 classic stainless with the BOSS brake. It is topped with a leupold vx3 6.5-20x50 LR.

I hunt midwest deer (500yds to 800yds is reasonable on my land) and will also be traveling to Colorado to hunt deer and elk starting this year.

I plan on using this action but am open to suggestions on replacing or changing/re-working anything. I am sold on the round. I like muzzle brakes. I would like a thumbhole stock if I don't have to sacrifice accuracy.

I'm asking for you guys to point me in the right direction on what I need to do to this gun. This forum is awesome because of the feedback y'all give.

ATT
Old 06-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: First long range gun

The action you have is a good one and can be made to shoot as well as any other if the smith want to work on it. Not sure what round you are "sold on" so I can't realy say what length barrel you would be best of with , if its a magnum like a 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag I'd say a 26" minimum length if its an Ultra mag then I say 28" to get the most out of it.

Get a good barrel for it say in the #5 conture or heavier so it won't walk as fast after 2-3 shots and get a good brake for it , Boyds makes some deciant stocks , HS precision , McMillan and Manners make some realy nice thumbholes also.

Is their any sort of size or weight restrictions your looking for? What caliber are you wanting and do you reload?
Old 06-04-2007, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. The rifle is in 300 win mag and the action is at the suggestion of my smith.

I would like to see some suggestions on weight and size as I've never hunted in the west and primarly hunt from a stand or blind in the southeast and midwest. I am looking for a very accurate hunting rig that I will do some target shooting with also just because I enjoy shooting.

As for handloading, I'm just beginning to explore so any suggestions there are appreciated as well. I have shot premium factory loads till now.

Can you guys help me to understand the costs I should expect in the rifle work/items you suggest? I'm also curious about the fees I should expect from my smith on this project.

ATT
Old 06-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

check out the Armalite ar30m they shoot great hand lapped barrels and you can find them for what you will pay to have that action set up or less and you can start shooting alot sooner.
http://www.ozarkguns.com/Armalite/armalitear50.htm
Old 06-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Silver Member

My Rem 700 probably from the late 80's has a Boyds Laminate Thumbhole Varminter Ventilated forend, I haven't swaped the barrel yet but it is a factory 24" and it shoots out to a 10" gong at 400yards and I only put about 4 rounds through then I let it cool but it hits every time. I like the short, light and cheap barrel and it shoots good enough so far.

Sorry the round is a 300 WM and shooting a 168SMK with IMR4350, and RL22....I might be down on velocity from the book but I can't imagine that it is more than 150FPS???

Back to my reason to reply, I really like my stock from Boyds. My rifle was a BDL and it kicked very hard for the weight and the stock made a world of difference...that and the Limbsaver Pad. Very cheap @ $100 as opposed to the mcmillans...not that they are anything close to the same.....you might talk to Joel Russo on here about an A5-L.

I am a firm believer that almost 60% of the bad recoil is in the stock, the comfortable shooter is the best shooter.

Hope this helps

Joe Oakes
Old 06-04-2007, 10:58 PM

I have admired the boyd stocks online for a few days only to find out they are out of stock until Nov.

I've handled a really solid HS this past week on a savage action and plan to investigate their thumbhole options. I'm really holding out for a thumbhole if I don't sacrfice accuracy. Anyone have a take on thumbhole stocks as they relate to accuracy?

I appreciate the tips

ATT
Old 06-05-2007, 06:05 AM
Platinum Member

Bruce Baer in PA can make any stock you want in laminate, I have one of his thumbholes on my 300WSM. His blanks are around $250 rough inletted. Thumbhole has zero effect on accuracy from the bench, and to many it makes it easier handling offhand.

Dan Lilja normally has standard barrel configuration blanks for sale and in stock.

A decent blank will run right at $300

chambering will run $150-200

trigger tuning under $50

pillar bedding will run $150-200

a wood stock will require final sanding and finish- if you have that done it could run $200-500. Fiberglass requires bedding $75-100

Harrels brake $30, Holland QD brake $95, installation $75 for either

BH