Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

First "long"er range shooting yesterday, have a question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: First "long"er range shooting yesterday, have a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyshooter View Post
So I had my first bout wih shooting at a distance. I was shooting a bone stock savage model 10 fp sr in .223 at 400 yards. I was getting consistent 6-8 inch groups. I fully understand that being a newbie to the long range shooting I prolly the biggest factor in my groups but was curious if this was as accurate as this rifle/round combo may be. Also my groups were 2 inches wide by 5-6 inches tall, in a rectangular shape. Is this my error?
Give this thread a read. I think you'll find it helpful.

Trigger timing, training, practice

I'm with Broz though, try several different types of ammo and pick the one that performs best for you at 100yds and then move it on out.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:33 PM

Thank you very much for the link. I have an overnight shift tonight so it will give me something to read and think bout.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Gold Member

Trigger squeeze. There is an art to it that I have not mastered either. Does your rifle have the accutrigger? I adjusted my trigger to about a pound and I can put rounds on top of each other at 100 yards (with a lead sled). Also, jumping on the band wagon but try other loads or start reloading and making a load specific to your rifle. Lastly, when you mean military ball do you mean 5.56? Don't shoot that in your rifle specifically chambered for .223. I don't think it will hurt anything but 5.56 has a thicker case and operates at a higher pressure to cycle in military weapons.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyshooter View Post
Thank you for the vote of confidence, I appreciate it. Learning this new "hobby"is fun but frustrating. Just so damn much to learn.
Learning is the fun part! I love this forum for that. There are some real scholarly guys on here that can provide a solution to any issue!
Old 10-03-2013, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300whisper View Post
Trigger squeeze. There is an art to it that I have not mastered either. Does your rifle have the accutrigger? I adjusted my trigger to about a pound and I can put rounds on top of each other at 100 yards (with a lead sled). Also, jumping on the band wagon but try other loads or start reloading and making a load specific to your rifle. Lastly, when you mean military ball do you mean 5.56? Don't shoot that in your rifle specifically chambered for .223. I don't think it will hurt anything but 5.56 has a thicker case and operates at a higher pressure to cycle in military weapons.
Give that link above a click. We talke about the trigger pull quite a bit there.

If you still are having problems see if you can get someone to take a video of you shooting and post it and I'm sure you'll get some good input on it.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:20 AM

Whisper- I was aware of the cartridge difference, and blindly/ ignorantly went ahead and shot out of pure excitement to shoot my new rifle more.
Trigger control is of my upmost importance from here on out. Never was a big deal shooting at 100 yards or less.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:44 AM

Wildrose- that link had great info. I have a laserlyte and fully intend on using your suggestion to practice this evening. Now if only I could convince my wife to become a good ole country girl, I could be shooting more than twice a month, haha