Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

First "long"er range shooting yesterday, have a question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 05:59 AM

First "long"er range shooting yesterday, have a question

So I had my first bout wih shooting at a distance. I was shooting a bone stock savage model 10 fp sr in .223 at 400 yards. I was getting consistent 6-8 inch groups. I fully understand that being a newbie to the long range shooting I prolly the biggest factor in my groups but was curious if this was as accurate as this rifle/round combo may be. Also my groups were 2 inches wide by 5-6 inches tall, in a rectangular shape. Is this my error?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: First "long"er range shooting yesterday, have a question

Was the sun bright and were you getting mirage on the target?

A factory .223 with factory ammo could shoot better at 400 for sure, I would suggest you try testing some different types of ammo to see what your rifle likes best.

One more thing that could cause this to your groups is a weak rest in the rear. Were you using a good solid sand bag under the rear?

Another thing to check would be to make sure all the parallax was adjusted properly out of your scope.

Jeff
Old 09-30-2013, 03:47 PM

Thank you for your reply. The sun was bright, so mirage could have been a factor, I was shooting only 2 types of ammo, military ball to get me on target, then hornady polymer tipped hunting ammo, so it could have been ammo. And I did not use any rear support, so 3 out of 4 were against me. My scope, a swfa 10x fixed is not to blame though, haha. At least I can easily fix all my errors a lot cheaper than any errors in my rifle. Again, thank you.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

generally- the horizontal is the wind . the vertical is the rifle/load/ bench technique. 2" horizontal would be great for me.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:33 AM

Well that's good news and bad news, on one plane I did something correct, on the other I am the sole factor to blame. Although, like I said in my earlier post, I can learn on my own better technique far cheaper than accurizing my rifle.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member

not just you. the 10x scope would not help me. it is just one outing . need more results. 2" horizontal would be awesome for me.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:39 PM

Thank you for the vote of confidence, I appreciate it. Learning this new "hobby"is fun but frustrating. Just so damn much to learn.