Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

First 600 Yard Group, Any Input?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: First 600 Yard Group, Any Input?

Watched a few videos on prone shooting and saw a few things I was doing wrong:

- I had no bi-pod load, causing some odd torque during recoiling I'm sure.
- I am putting some funky torque on the stock by muscling it to get my point of aim rather than doing it in the rear bag.
- I'm also not centered behind the rifle and thus am not seeing edge to edge clarity in the scope.

Looks like I need to get out a smaller rifle for a while and do some form work. I've never had training on a LR rifle, but have in other shooting disciplines (competitive archery), so just need some trigger time, and maybe a video camera to record myself. Of course if anyone is in SE WY, I'd welcome some instruction!

Old 06-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Bronze Member

Re: First 600 Yard Group, Any Input?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
3 shots do not tell me enough.
+1 to that.

You can't put any creedance in one 3 shot group. Particularly if this is the first time that you've shot this distance. I strongly recommend that you shoot 10 shot groups on several different days under different conditions before you jump to any conclusions. Get yourself a 600 yard F-Class target to shoot on and keep records. You currently have no statistical basis to be making decisions on.