Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

fire-lapping bullets yes or no?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2005, 09:03 AM
Bronze Member

fire-lapping bullets yes or no?

Beartooth Bullets makes fire-lapping bullets and i was wondering if this is a yay or nay for a new match grade barrel during the barrel break in period used in combination with a sound cleaning regiment? I have heard this actually rips up the throat even more and could possibly lose hundreds/thousands of possible rounds later on down the road?

any experiences?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]Thanks
Old 08-15-2005, 10:25 AM
daveosok

Re: fire-lapping bullets yes or no?

David Tubb has some advice on this subject. I wont quote his article as you can go here and read it David Tubb .

Dave
Old 08-15-2005, 03:38 PM

I've fire-lapped 2 factory rifles with outstanding results, however, from what I understand, this should only be done to a poorly grouping factory type rifle/barrel, and never-never-never to a custom handlapped barrel. They are already smooth enough and youy would probably ruin it. I believe Tubbs recommends if your factory rifle is shooting good (better than 1-1/2 inch groups?), leave it alone or only use the finest abbrasives to clean it up a bit.

If you have a hand-lapped barrel use the standard break-in procedure recommended by the barrel maker.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:25 PM

I used the Beartooth method with their bullets in my Ruger Blackhawk. It worked great. I was amazed at the few # of shots it took to really show forward progress of the forcing cone. I fired 12 lapping rounds and it really moved things. It did what it was supposed to, less lead, more accuracy, more speed, way easier to clean. The only way I would do it to a centerfire rifle barrel was if it was a rough factory barrel that I was going to rechamber after I was done. A true match grade barrel (Shilen, Hart, etc) are hand lapped already the only roughness you will have is where the smith ran the reamer in, the burrs will only be at the end of the throat were the rifling starts. My Hart barrel quit showing signs of copper after 9 shots, all done with the one shot and clean method. It hasn't coppered since and that was over 500 rnds ago. I would recomend a break in process of one shot and clean for this reason alone.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:55 AM
daveosok

I think I am going to try David Tubbs throat polishing bullets. Even on a custom barrel when you ream the chamber youll have radial tooling marks that are perpendicular to the longitudinal bore resulting in a scraping affect equating to copper loading up the throat area.
I will give it a shot, David Tubbs site says throat polishing should remove these radial marks making the throat smother in transition resulting is less copper fouling.
Dave
Old 08-19-2005, 06:21 PM
Gold Member

Factory bbl, yes. Custom bbl, no.
db
Old 08-19-2005, 09:18 PM
Writers Guild

I would not fire lap any barrel simply because you move the throat forward. What leads you to believe you need such a drastic action? You haven't even shot the barrel.

Accuracy is determined by the location of that throat and yout bullet. By moving it ahead during fire lapping, you are doing the same thing as lots of firing. Moving the throat defines barrel wear.

If a barrel copper fouls and that bugs you, polish the bore, maybe a bit in the throat. Fire lapping usually does nothing to polish the second 2/3's of a barrel.

Personally, I go by what the target tells me, not the cleaning patches.

I have match barrels that copper foul and production barrels that don't. all shoot very well.
Jerry