Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Finally got my steel plate range set up.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2007, 01:33 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Finally got my steel plate range set up.

Nice job. Got a suggestion for a very portable/cheap tgt. stand u may be interested in. We get 3 pieces of rebar, 2 copper or galvanized plumbing T's, pound 2 of the rebar into the ground set the T's on top, raise them slightly, and slide the other rebar thru the T top holes parallel to the ground. This is the most portable system we could ever think up, and it will support over 100 lbs of steel. Just a suggestion if u wanna set up a lot of steel at 1 time. Sure has worked for us. I'll post a pic tomorrow when i get home.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member

Steve, GREAT idea!

JB
Old 03-15-2007, 10:55 AM
SPONSOR

Here is a pic.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Thks. Ern. Another thing i do is to keep an eye out when you're driving around for truck straps that people lose on the road. They have big S-hooks that r closed on 1 end that r great for hanging steel.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:09 AM
Platinum Member

1 other thing about the thin "S" hooks u see in the photo. U can pick those up on the road also. They're attached to the rubber bungie cords everybody loses on the road...or u can get a box full of them at a custom canvas shop or someplace that repairs/makes boat covers. I used to pick this stuff up on the road, but the wife hates it when i stop for a road freebie.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

If you setup farther out consider placing your steel plates side by side touching so you get a larger target that will catch bullets easier. I would paint them white, the bullet splats will show up much better. Hang the targets close to the ground, you want to catch low shots and don't want them to go under the steel. I would also consider using S-hooks and either light chain or old pieces of fire-hose. The hose can be mooched from any fire-fighting sources, they throw away a lot of older stuff. We have a very simple stand that you might consider, easy to make and dirt cheap. If someone would like to post an image I can email it. Remember that the farther out you go the larger the steel you will need but your bullet energies will be diminishing so you may get by with thinner steel sheets.