Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Figuring Angle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Bronze Member

Figuring Angle

Without a fancy rangefinder is there a device that can tell you the angle of your shot? That way you have something to put into your ballistic app on your phone which in turn treks toy how to hold?
Old 03-11-2014, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Figuring Angle

Angle cosine indicator >>> Sniper Tools Design Co - Home of the Angle Cosine Indicator, etc ...

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Silver Member

The iPhone app Ballistic AE uses the iPhones level to calculate the shot angle and then figures drop.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill123 View Post
The iPhone app Ballistic AE uses the iPhones level to calculate the shot angle and then figures drop.
So I don't misconstrue your comment above, the iPhone must be somehow loaded into the rifle (base, scope, etc...) for the level in the IPhone to be useful to the end user right?

Please elaborate so OP and others might benefit from it too. Thanks!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:53 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

The shooter app on an android platform will automatically calculate the angle and adjust for it as well. There are several ways to accomplish this you can lay your phone on your turret, rail, stock or aim it at the target to acquire the angle.

I like to use a cosine indicator and my phone kinda a checks and balances thing...

A lot of the new rangefinders will do all the work for you....and not all of them cost a fortune ie...vortex ranger etc, but unfortunately you get what you pay for in rangefinders.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406precision View Post
Th....

A lot of the new rangefinders will do all the work for you....and not all of them cost a fortune ie...vortex ranger etc, but unfortunately you get what you pay for in rangefinders.
No truer words have been spoken.

OP- you can go the old school method as well & add an ACI/ADI to your rig that will give you the correct cosign or angle for inputting into you ballistic calculator. This setup offers a few pros as well as a con or two versus using your ballistic calculator.

Pros- It's attached to your rig, you don't need a third arm to try to steady a slippery phone or Ipod on your rifle somewhere. It's not electronic, the batteries never go dead. It should provide a little more consistency as well.

Cons- It's another "gadget" you have to buy & they ain't cheap. If you're a Southpaw like I am, finding one that you can swap over to the "correct" side of the rifle can be frustrating. It does stick out from the rifle some, some folks don't like that.

t

Old 03-13-2014, 02:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
So I don't misconstrue your comment above, the iPhone must be somehow loaded into the rifle (base, scope, etc...) for the level in the IPhone to be useful to the end user right?

Please elaborate so OP and others might benefit from it too. Thanks!
Not that complicated. You can sight down the face of the phone, hold it for a few seconds and it will determine angle.