Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Featherweight possible Accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2004, 06:31 PM
Bronze Member

Featherweight possible Accuracy

I have a Win Model 70 Featherweight in 270WSM with a Nikon 2.5-10 Tactical and Harris bipod.

I use this gun for deer hunting and punching paper. Shots at deer won't be over 400 yards. I would like to punch paper as out to 800 yards if possible, but haven't yet (We're in the middle of setting the range.)

At the current time I don't hand load, but would like to start in the future. I have had the trigger adjusted to 3.0 lbs, fully glass bedded the action, and floated the barrel.

Before doing any work to the rifle it would consistant groups of 1.5 MOA, and every once in a while a .75 MOA group at 100 yards, with factory Win 130 or 150 BST's, but did notice the POI would change day to day. After having the work done, the POI doesn't change anymore, and the groups are about 1 MOA.

I am very happy with guns performance for hunting, but would like to get more accuracy for punching paper (this is currently my only long range rig).
Is it possible to get consistant .5 MOA with factory ammo out of a Featherweight stock? If so, what do all of you sugguest to start? True the action? New Barrel?

Sorry for the length, wanted to put down all the facts [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Any suggestions would be much appriciated. Thanks.

[ 04-06-2004: Message edited by: Cobber ]
Old 04-07-2004, 04:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Featherweight possible Accuracy

Certainly respectable from a factory featherweight in my book. My son has a Classic Compact in 308, biut 1 MOA is what it'll hold in factory fair. I just bedded it and got serious about ridding it of the creep in the trigger, now I'm anxious to see how it performs myself.

This one here, I know I'm at the end with it and it'll need a better barrel to get me any tighter, just done too much testing on it to leave anything else unturned. Plenty good for it's intended use in my case, or my son's that is. When he can hold 6-8" at 500 yards I'll get a new barrel put on it for him, until then he's got more practice on this barrel to get done.

True the action - Yes
Custom barrel - Yes (Maybe a carbon wrapped)

This one would still make a darn good practice barrel though, even hunting to be perfectly honest, but I feel your pain! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2004, 04:46 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the response Brent. Just out of curiousity; how long do you wait in between shots with the factory toothpick? I know mine gets warm real fast. If I let it cool way down in between every shot, my groups tighten up a lot.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:59 AM
Silver Member

I always wait about 1min maybe more/less depending on wind/temp, if you shoot a light barrel fast you can actually see it warp [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Silver Member

I have a featherweight 7mm wsm. After a

little work it shoots 3/4 moa groups

consistently if Im doing my part.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Bronze Member

I've been pondering on this topic for a few weeks, and thought I would ask for a few more opinions. I've been shooting with my rifle out to 700 yards and it shoots well; but I want a rifle that shoots better than I do.

-Is it possible to get .5 MOA with factory ammo out of any gun?
-Is it possible to get the best possible accuracy out of a fetherweitht stock or do I need a McMillan or HS stock?
-If I keep the featherweight stock, should I have it pillar bedded? or just leave the full action bedding?
-What advantage does it give you changing the action bolts (ie B-squear etc...) or the recoil lug. (I've seen this mentioned on here).

Sorry to bring the topic back up; I just need to find some more input.

Thanks,
Cobber
Old 04-26-2004, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

-Is it possible to get .5 MOA with factory ammo out of any gun?
I believe that you might mean - out of any factory gun? Reality as I see it is that you might get real lucky and happen to get a super-shooting factory rifle - but to average .5moa with factory ammo - let's say five consecutive five-shot groups - very rare. Calls for some damn fine shooting skills also. Some ammo can approach that accuracy, particularly BHA match or Black Hills Gold.

-Is it possible to get the best possible accuracy out of a fetherweitht stock or do I need a McMillan or HS stock?
Your stock is designed to be a nice handling, nice carrying tool that also looks good. It was not designed for optimum accuracy which is what some of the composite stocks have going for them. Matter of fact you can replace that wood stock with a McMillan factory featherweight stock - would it shoot better? Tuff to say, if you pillar-bedded each style of stock they will both shoot good. Only the composite stocks are much more resistant to dings and scratches, and they do not change if they get soaked.

-If I keep the featherweight stock, should I have it pillar bedded? or just leave the full action bedding? Best would be full-action bedded with pillars - they go hand in hand.

-What advantage does it give you changing the action bolts (ie B-squear etc...) or the recoil lug. (I've seen this mentioned on here). You cannot do anything about your recoil lug, it is integral and a good heavy one at that. Changing to B-Square stock bolts just lets you tighten the stock bolts more uniformly - you use a better screwdriver design is all (allen).

Your light barrel is one big factor influencing how well your rifle will shoot. It is going to heat up fast and accuracy will suffer. But that barrel also makes the rifle nice and light for carrying - it is a trade-off. If you want more accuracy and accuracy that is less influenced by barrel heat - Winchester makes the Coyote in the same caliber, but even that barrel is not really very heavy.

Enjoy your rifle for what it is designed to do - if you push its potential out farther then more power to you. Most important thing is to shoot a lot and get to know it very well.