Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Factory Stocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2003, 01:47 PM
Writers Guild

Re: Factory Stocks

Tim,

Bed that action from 1" in front of the receiver ring to the rear of the action. Devcon Epoxy steel in the twin syringe is excellent. Injection molded stocks provide a drop in fit. There is usually lots of slop and that is passed to the action screws - not good.

If you notice any "squishing" when you tighten your stock after bedding, you will need to pillar bed as well. A well bedded stock will need firm pressure to get the stock and action together. When tightening the action screws, the bolts will go tight in a 1/4 turn of the screwdriver. No mushy or increasing tightness should be felt. The action should also not move or bend during tightening or loosening. Firm hand pressure is all that is needed to tighten the action screws. No he-man strength needed.

Free float that barrel and make sure that there is plenty of space between the stock and barrel. The stock must not be able to touch the barrel even when squeezed together. You may need a gap as large as 1/8".

Your load may change slightly but your groups will no longer string and probably shrink 25%. Don't worry about getting a new stock or doing additional work on the action until the bedding and testing is complete. I bet you the performance will improve enough that no further work will be desired.

Also consider testing with bullets like the Hornady SST, Sierra Matchking or Nosler BT. These bullets are capable of match grade accuracy and shoot very well in almost all rifles that I have tested. Many hunting bullets are not consistent enough for sub MOA groups so testing with them will not show the true performance of your rifle. Once a baseline is established, you can easily compare other hunting bullets and you will know that it is the bullet, not the rifle, if groups open up.

On to project rifle number two...

Jerry
Old 01-08-2003, 07:56 PM

interesting thread. I've got a Savage 112 with the factory plastic stock -though it is free-floated and pillar-bedded already, would it gain any accuracy from an after-market stock, or better to just glass bed the factory one?

All input appreciated!

Gracias! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 10:41 AM
Writers Guild

Rhoman,

A stock is a convenient device to hold on to the action and barrel. It must be rigid, stable, and fit the shooter and application. Other then that material or shape is up to the end user.

The injection molded stocks have pretty flimsy forends but as long as it can not hit the barrel during recoil, it doesn't matter. When resting on a bag, there is very little force applied to the stock so it is actually pretty rigid.

Bed the action, lug, and under the first 1 to 2" of barrel. Make sure that the action is not strained when the action screws are tightened. There must be no movement at all.

It will work as well as another stock with the same profile but made from a different material. There is enough rigidity through the action area, wrist, and buttstock to work.

When shooting, place the front bag within 4" of the front of the receiver. This is the most rigid area of the forend, widest and usually the flattest too. Also make sure that each shot is made with the rifle in the same bag placement.

Good luck...

Jerry
Old 01-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Gold Member

Guys I like this post..I have a new
REMI VLS 308. it shoot great when the barrel is clean but after 10 or so shots they start to wonder till I bring out the mop/brush.
I am planing to bed the action next I floated the barrel already and the trigger is tuned so sweet it will make you smile. How much trouble is it with a laminant?
this stock holds the action with a death grip. It is a real SOB to take apart to clean and this is one thing I do alot.
There is well over 300 rounds a month loaded and shot with each of my(4) range rifles..
I know you guys have alot experence thay myself when it comes to building and shootin rifles but I have a old 03A3 Springfield I
built with a Douglas barrel back in 1970 and
any deer out to 300 yards is mine..
Hey! Thanks for the post..Keith.