Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Factory Stocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2003, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Factory Stocks

I guess you could say today was a pretty good day. In a frustrating sort of way. I got up first thing this morning, with every intention of going out to kill a coyote or two. But despite the best of intentions, My body refused to cooperate, and 15 minutes later I crawled back in bed. I still made it up before sunrise, with a new plan for the day in mind.

I'd bought a pound of Retumbo a few months back, and had a box of 175 Grain Gamekings in 7 MM sitting on the shelf. So I started working on some load development, and as much as the kids hated me for doing so, I was shooting a good 15 minutes before the Sun made an appearance.

I shot, then loaded up three more rounds and tried again. I made that box of bullets last until late Afternoon. But no matter what the load, or seating depth I tried, I never did break less than 1" at 100 yards. I even broke down and cleaned the barrel. No difference. 1.1" was my best 3 shot group. This same rifle shoots the Berger 180 Grain bullets at less than 3/4" anytime I'm willing.

The powder seemed to burn nicely, I ended up with a SD of 7.97 for the last 25-30 rounds. Norma Brass, all partially sized with a Full length size die. Fed 215 primers.

The rifle is pretty much factory stock. It's a Winchester Model 70 classic In 7 MM Remington Magnum. My intentions are to get the action trued up, Lugs lapped etc., and have been holding off doing this work, to also have the stock pillar bedded.

Is this Factory synthetic stock worth the cost of being bedded? Or should I just hold off, buy a new stock, then have all of the work done at once?
Old 01-05-2003, 11:44 AM

Re: Factory Stocks

[ 07-11-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 01-05-2003, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

I like to shoot this rifle out to 1,000 yards. If I ever get around to buying a new computer, I might be tempted to buy new ballistics software. I use Point Blank now, it limits me to 1,000 yards. Mostly I just target shoot with it, but I may take it bear hunting again next fall. I got drawn for a Javalina hunt next month and I am thinking I'd like to take one of those at 6-700 yards on one of the local irrigation circles.

I think the stock is injection molded, I can't tell for sure. It definitely is not as stiff in the forend as I would like it to be.
I do want to put a new stock on it, but Santa demands payment first. It may take a few months before I can replenish my gun fund. But in the mean time, I could probably afford to have this stock bedded. If it was thought to be worth the effort.

I got a reprieve from the Honey-do list this afternoon, and decided I may as well finish off the last of the Retumbo. I had 5 pieces of brass left sitting in the block from yesterday. So I dumped the charges in, didn't trickle any of them. Seated the some Nosler 175 partitions in at the last seating depth I used yesterday. Set up the Chrono, and proceeded to shoot.

The third shot was a flyer, I called it. But the other 4 hit .845 top to bottom, and .286 side to side.

Speed today was around 2870, compared to 2828 ave. yesterday. The SD looks to be easily in the single digits also.

I may have just found a new favorite bullet!
Old 01-05-2003, 02:57 PM

[ 07-11-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 01-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Tim, have you ever bedded a rifle yourself yet?
I watched my father do his for the first time last week. It was not that difficult at all to say the least.
If you havn't yet, I'm sure the help if you need it along the way is ready and willing by folks right here.
Good stock to try your hand at it with, if you havn't already.
If it's like the ones I've had, you can ONLY make it better doing it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2003, 04:33 PM
Silver Member

A friend from Ohio, who has bedded quite a few rifles is to be out in a couple of weeks. He just called and volunteered to show me how to bed them.

I'll go that route while I start saving for a new stock in a couple of months. Of course, there's no sense in adding a new stock to a rifle with an untrued action..... And have you seen those new Barrels Dan Lilja makes....

Thanks Len, You created a board so good, I may never be able to afford to retire!

Tim
Old 01-05-2003, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

New Lilja barrels?