Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

F-Class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

F-Class

I went and shot in my first F-class match today at Quantico Marine Base. The match was just for fun and a warmup to see how much interest there was in such a competition. Being a little unhappy with my performance in Wyoming trying to shoot antelope in 30mph winds I thought F-Class would be a good way to get more experience shooting in the wind.
First of all, I was the only non-jarhead acting person there, except for the lady and she very well could have been a Marine although she seemed to be pretty intelligent. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I was the only person who didnít have either tactical clothes or camo on. I was also the only person who didnít have a tactical drag bag and my gun camoíed up.

Well, I didnít have any kind of F-Class gun so I had brought my antelope gun which is a 240Wby. Being as they had not decided for sure if they were gong to have F-Class competitions, I had not bought a gun for it. So, I didnít want to ruin my antelope gun by running 17 rounds down the barrel in 15 minutes so I would only shoot 7 shots per target. Interestingly enough, I did not finish last even shooting less that half the bullets allowed for scoring. I was saved by a 50 cal that seemed to have a group size of about 10 feet at 1000 yards. It only scored with one bullet the whole day. No matter, we were just having fun.

The only thing I can say is that I learned a lot about shooting off of a bipod. It seems that everything is much more sensitive to how you make contact with the gun. Too much downward force by your head on the cheek piece is bad. Slack in the bipod seems to be bad. Shoulder pressure needs to be consistent and a death grip on the stock is not too good either. I am not sure I found out how to do it right but I sure found lot of new ways to do it wrong. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Well, I went to learn to shoot in the wind and at 800 yards I was doing pretty good but at 900 I ran up the white flag and surrendered. Bullets would go left and I would adjust and they would go right and then too far left and then too far right. At 1000 yards I just shot my dial and let the wind blow them where ever it wanted to. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] The wind finally died down for the last two shots and I was pleased to score some points. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think a couple of the people who had never shot F-Class before burned their barrels up because they were just blazing hot at the end. The heavy barrel on the 240Wby was just barley warm on the outside because i didn't shoot many rounds, although I suspect the inside was hotter than I normally let it get.

Well, it is off to the gun shop to get a Savage 308 so I will have something that will not burn up the barrel the when we have a real match.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: F-Class

What are the rules for F-class?

Its tricky to figure out how a gun wants to be set in a bibod , some like to be preloaded and some don't
Old 01-14-2007, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member

F-Class is prone centerfire rifle. There is no national sanctioning body for it like in benchrest. It seems to be a name you call something when a bunch of people want to get together and shoot a while. The NRA published some rules for about 5 or 6 different variations of F-class which include short range, medium and long range and then Palma style (what we did).

If you go to the NRA webste and then click on High Power you will find F-Class rules about halfway in.

F-class rules

The Palma style is exactly what I wanted because you shoot at 800, 900 and 1000 yards and there is unlimited sighters at 800 and then 15 rounds for score and 2 sighters and 15 rounds for score at 900 and 1000. This adds up to shooting about 50 rounds so you get a really good opportunity to try different techniques and reads on the wind.

You can use bipods or backpacks or full benchrests for your gun. There is a class for 308s and 223s that is kind of a factory class kind of thing.

Yesterday, every bullet would have been a good hit on an elk but only about 75% or less would have been good hits on an antelope. Which only proves the point that I need the practice.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

bb,

Let me know which model of Savage that you get. I'm developing another 'gizmo' that will be of advantage and I guarantee it will be an improvement.

Competitions such as F Class never catch on around here as there are still too many wide open spaces and too much to shoot at. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] + we have to live with the wind. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2007, 11:32 AM
SPONSOR

[ QUOTE ]
Well, it is off to the gun shop to get a Savage 308 so I will have something that will not burn up the barrel the when we have a real match.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might want to check w/a couple of Okies you know before running off and buying something [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 01-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member

Bill

I am sure that you could give me a better price, but, there is only one gunshop that will deal with the DC MPD gun permitting section. I have dealt with this gunshop for 25 years and they know me and if they should go out of business there would just be no gunshop for me to go to that would fool with the paperwork that is required.
I appreciate the offer but it is just not in my best interest to save money on that kind of an FFL item.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:23 AM
SPONSOR

Completly understand. Part of what's wrong w/the world today is that there is no consumer loyalty. People will just buy whatever where ever they can get the best price. It's always good to support local business, whereever you may be.