Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Dry Fireing your gun??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

Dry Fireing your gun??

I am looking at getting serious into some long range hunting and shooting and am going to start spending some serious time and some money to do it. One thing I have read on your sticky's is to develop better triggering is to do dry firing. Can this damage my gun? Should I put a spent cartridge in the gun to give the pin something to hit? Thanks

Old 03-31-2010, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Dry Fireing your gun??

A spent cartrige is a good idea for prolonged periods of dry fireing. A way better option is a cartrige specific ''snap-cap''. I sometimes practice shooting wile I have my dad load my rifle for me mehind my back. Sometimes hell slip in an empty to see if I flinch. I HATE that, but its Great practice!
I dont get to shoot with dad too often anymore, and its hard to find a buddy you trust to load your rifle behind your back. It just goes against everything in me not to load my own, but with dad loading, Im still able to comfortably shoot.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 04-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

Stick a hard piece of rubber like material in the primer pocket. It doesn't need to be flush.

I use a piece of belting.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't dry fire. I have used snap-caps but the more I think about Roys idea the better I like it. Thanks roy.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the replies guys! I like Roy's idea and i am sure I can come up with something pretty easy that way.

When I first got my gun and started shooting it, it kicked the crud out of me with my handloads (Max loads) and I started a flinch. I have done some stock work and had a KDF brake installed and it is tame now. I find I occasionally still flinch and sometimes really bad on the first few shots at the range till I can relax. This practice will be good for me and I am going to do a rig for my son and his gun and get him started out right. His stupid real Dad took him out and let him shoot his 12 Ga.. After that, It took us 2 years to get him to shoot my wifes 25-06! He is now almost 13, so i have my work cut out for me!!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Sako7STW, 12 gauge+young kid+first time shooting= not always a good idea. Sounds like your approaching it right with the young fella, easing him back into it and if and when he catches the bug for it you will have something really good to build a relationship with...you two can be shooting buddies and more. Being a step parent has it's challenges just treat him like your own.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

Sako7STW, try a pencil eraser. They only need a small amount of trimming and fit right in a primer pocket.