Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Drop Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 09:23 PM
Bronze Member

Drop Cards

Where can I get a program to print out some ballistic charts. I would like something I can have a wind age and angle on as well.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Drop Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofdscooby View Post
Where can I get a program to print out some ballistic charts. I would like something I can have a wind age and angle on as well.
Hornady has a good, very simple to use calculator on their website.

You can print drop charts directly from it.

Ballistics Calculator - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc
Old 05-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Gold Member

JBM ballistics has a good free site.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Bronze Member

G7 seems to be pretty good.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

The face page of Long Range Hunting has a tab for a pretty good ballistics calculator. That's the one I use.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:08 PM
Bronze Member

sub'd
Old 05-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofdscooby View Post
I don't use drop charts any more but do have one with me in case the iPhone craps out. I use both QuickLoad and the Exbal software to crunch the numbers and compare then I take that data into Microsoft Excel to clean it up and get rid of everything that I don't need and add what I do need. The last step for me is to take the cleaned up data into Auto Cad to size and print. I print it just big enough to read.

The chart usually ends up in 3 columns. First is yardage in 20 yard increments starting at 300 yards out to 800 (my max on game). The second is come up's in MOA and the 3rd is come up's in MOA at 20 degrees. I don't use a chart for wind.

The bottom line is to have a ballistics program on your computer so you can get drop charts cleaned up and printed without all the stuff you don't need on them. The links below are what I use. I use QuickLoad the most.

quickload quicktarget software
Perry-Systems - Ballistic Calculator Software

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein