Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Does commercial ammo availability drive you caliber choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Gold Member

Re: Does commercial ammo availability drive you caliber choice?

I prefer the wildcats, so reloading is the only option. Got into it 30 years ago to save $$ while shooting competitive pistol. Even if I shot only std. SAAMI calibers, I would still reload to save some $$ and still get the exact casing, bullet and powder charge combination. Just trying to eliminate as many variables as possible. Nowadays, the only thing that limits my caliber choice is brass. If Lapua doesn't make it, or if I can't form it from Lapua brass, I won't choose that caliber. Personal choice.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

I am with AZ - I choose a caliber based on capability, reputation, and the quality of the components that are available to reload it. It is pretty rare that I buy factory fodder for any of my bolt guns.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

I reload all my rifle ammo anyway so factory plays no part in my caliber selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhulesAu View Post
Got no place to do reloading, Store bought or nothing.
I used to reload in my bedroom floor when I was a kid, after I got married I used the kitchen table and a hand press for several years, kept my stuff in a cardboard box in the closet. You just need to think outside the box!

Bob
Old 07-29-2013, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

As others have mentioned... I also run a number of wildcats that aren't a commercial offering. Out of a dozen or so rifles, I shoot factory ammo in exactly two of them. .204 Ruger & 6.5 Creedmoor (that will soon change).

I find a lot of joy at the reloading bench, I may not enjoy the sport as much if I were launching factory fodder... maybe

t

Old 07-29-2013, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I find a lot of joy at the reloading bench
I've never quite heard it put that way, but it sums it up for me as well. I like tinkering with stuff and trying to find the "next big improvement" for my ammo.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
I've never quite heard it put that way, but it sums it up for me as well. I like tinkering with stuff and trying to find the "next big improvement" for my ammo.

Well then add your quote to mine & we'll have the best of both worlds. I suffer from a severe case of "tinkeritis". Good has never been good enough & i'm not sure it's possible to leave well enough alone...

Seems that i'm always moving on to bigger & better things. Now, whether or not they actually prove to be bigger and/or better

t

Old 07-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Well then add your quote to mine & we'll have the best of both worlds. I suffer from a severe case of "tinkeritis". Good has never been good enough & i'm not sure it's possible to leave well enough alone...

Seems that i'm always moving on to bigger & better things. Now, whether or not they actually prove to be bigger and/or better

t
AMEN! I can totally relate. I'll work up a load that shoots as well as i am capable of shooting, and then try a new powder to see if it will shoot BETTER than my capability