Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Do it your self or write the check?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Gold Member

Re: Do it your self or write the check?

How about skipping the new production or used production gun altogether? There are some very good affordable customs to be had without wasting money on a complete gun,barrel,trigger etc. that you may not use.
Check into Stillers Predator,Bordens Timberline or Lawtons actions that there is a post on right now.All are Rem 700 footprints and are trued with no worries.
I ordered a couple of Bordens when they were first advertised for $600 ea. Unfortunately I see theyve gone up since the intro period,but there are still great deals to be had on custom actions and there are more than what Ive mentioned.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

After getting this AM I doubt I'll ever mess with constructing one on my own again as I did w/the 338 RUM. That is except for the stock work.

When its all summed up, I think its actually less expensive in the long run. Especially when your time is counted. The number of shots is possibly 30 break in and and probably less than 10 for development and 9 more for drop chart development then you're ready to hunt.

The few above shots is compared to several cannisters of different kinds of powder, tubs final finish, several boxes of several kinds of bullets and a bunch of shooting time to get load worked up, drop chart built and verified then ready to hunt as with the 338 Win Mag factory and the replacement factory 338 RUM barrel and that was to just achieve medium range accuracy.

W/the AM I doubt I'll even work up a load to the rifles maximum capability as I figure 1/2" @ 200 yds is plenty good for a yote out to say 800 yds. We see what the success rate is ......
Old 10-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

If you want to be inolved in the work, then the easy way is to go with a laminated stock. The appearance is dependent on how you sand the different layers. You can get some really interesting patterns out of a lamianted stock. You do all of the final inletting, sanding, shaping and finish work You install the recoil pad, flush cups and swivel studs. You can do the bedding if you believe you have the skills.

A laminated stock is very stable and has a certain visual appeal and feel over a synthetic stock.

I had the smith bed my stock being as I did not have time to correct the mistakes I knew I would make. Joel Russo can fix you with an laminated A5 or thumbhole stock.