Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Do it your self or write the check?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

Re: Do it your self or write the check?

Chris at Long shot Rifles turn around time is about 8-10 weeks that's including the barrel time getting made. I sent my rifle in the end of March and had it back in the Middle of May. The biggest wait time was for the barrel after Chris had that he kicked it out real quick. I would give him a call. The other thing you could do is buy a 7mm Mag in a Sendero bed it yourself and go shoot little groups. I have yet to see a Sendero not shoot 1/2 MOA.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

By do it myself I mean have one of the barrel makers true the action and install the barrel. I would install a trigger, do the bedding, etc. Essentially I would be saving the cost of a new stock by using the old one and I would save some labor.

There is a 7 mag Sendero on one of the Websites for sale and the owner claims sub half MOA accuracy, 450 rounds down the pipe, etc., for $500.00. Yeah right, what's the chances of that? I could buy the gun, do some load development and see if the rifle is satisfactory. If not, $600.00 and I have a new barrel. Or I could just stop messing around and buy a new rifle and be good to go.

When I get right down to it, the question is really one of do I want the satisfation of tinkering around myself to produce a tack driver or do I want to have the pride in ownership of owning some of the finest gear in the world being produced by one of the finest gunsmiths on the planet.

It's odd that I get price consious on a rifle, but as an IPSC competion shooter, I'll drop three grand on a racegun without a second thought. Time to rethink my priorities. Afterall, even though I don't make a lot of money, I could come up with a couple of grand for a decent long range hunting rifle.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
When I get right down to it, the question is really one of do I want the satisfation of tinkering around myself to produce a tack driver or do I want to have the pride in ownership of owning some of the finest gear in the world being produced by one of the finest gunsmiths on the planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya on the self satisfaction. Been doing that for years.

What I'm expecting to find is that the custom rifle from one the world class smiths start where mine begin, as far as accuracy goes. Example is fire forming loads reported here are more consistently accurate than the finished product on my project rifles. On mine, overall accuracy looks great at 100 or 200 but goes down hill after 750 or so. And this is after a couple of hundred development loads. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

On the really good custom rifles, I expect load development to be maybe 1/10th of the development necessary for a factory barrel.

However, the action I sent off and got a quality barrel fitted by a quality smith with bedding done by me, load development was less than 30 rounds, including break in. The only problem is that it is a poopy cartridge LRH.

Now I have both an own project rifle for personal learning and satisfaction and a fully custom rifle on the way that all I expect to do is show it off with pride and learn to shoot it at far away things.

BTW, I've never had a fully custom rifle before and figured I owed myself one......
Old 09-16-2006, 05:20 AM
Gold Member

Dang Roy, you sound like me. The only custom work I have ever had is my AM. I figured that after 35 years of hunting, and shooting straight factory rifles, I deserved one as well. THe only problems is, now it takes a whole lot longer to save up for the next one. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 09-16-2006, 07:16 AM
Sponsor

Ankeny,

Start shooting some 3 gu matches if you want to see a serious equipment bill. I will say this, if you do it yourself or if you have it done, get what you want the first time and don't cut corners. When the project is done you will be much happier with the result.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 09-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

Mike,

I don't quite have the first one yet and am planning on the next, only bigger [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Bronze Member

I'll throw in with JDJones on this one. My shooting buddy (Wyojeeper) is an avid Savage fan. He's gotten .5MOA out of all but a few of his guns and honestly, those few he hasn't tinkered with much. He buys a gun that interests him, often rebarrels with some sort of match barrel, installs a trigger, beds the action and shoots groups from .25MOA to .5MOA with nothing having ever been to the gunsmith. Heck, one of his best shooters is a used Savage Tactical (FP110?) in .308 that shot 5 into 1/2" with a called flyer. Without the flyer it measured 3/16" for the other 4.
Personally, I'm finding I enjoy knowing that my gun shoots and it's because I picked out the accessories, installed them myself and then loaded up the rounds that produce the groups...
Coyoter