Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

DNZ scope mounts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Bronze Member

DNZ scope mounts

I'm looking at DNZ game reaper mounts. They come in low, medium, high mounts. They are 1/8" difference in mounting height of the scope.

How much of a difference does it make (down range) if the scope is mounted 1/8" too high ?

My Zeiss scope does not fit in the medium mount, do to the underside of the scope hits the rail. And I could modify it, or get a taller mount. But I'd hate to mount the scope higher than necessary.......
Old 06-10-2014, 01:16 AM
Silver Member

Re: DNZ scope mounts

By increasing the height of the scope over the bore center by 1/8" (0,125") a 300 WinMag with a 210 gr VLD doing 2950 drops 0.5" less at 500 yards (23.1" vs. 23.6")

Hope that helps.

Tipping the rifle off vertical causes more problems though.

KB
Old 06-10-2014, 06:09 AM
Bronze Member

Effectively, your saying it's better to mount it higher ?
Old 06-10-2014, 11:14 AM

Not better but it can be accounted for, most ballistic calculators (the one attached to this site does) has an option for how high your scope is mounted and then it will churn out the data you need to have an accurate drop chart! lower is better as it is more consistent over longer distances however with the larger objective lens sizes and main tube diameters the goal is to mount them as low as possible and then account for the difference in a calculator if it is different than the default value given.

Hope that makes sense and I didn't ramble on too bad
Old 06-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Silver Member

Up side is slightly less holdover @ long range.

Down side is the cant of the vertical alignment if you tip the rifle off level is exaggerated. That is, for the same cant the muzzle is off to one side or the other from vertical with the scope more. That throws the shot off to either side. If you must to use a high mount some sort of scope level becomes even more necessary.

KB
Old 06-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Bronze Member

Please explain cant and hold over in English. User friendly terms. thx
Old 06-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

Cant = rotation. When the scope is level the centerline is directly over the bore center. As you rotate/ tip/ cant the rifle either way the center of the scope moves to one side or the other of the bore/barrel center. The barrel is then not angling straight up but is also angling off to the side.

Hold over is how much you have to shoot over the target to hit where you want.

Welcome to Long Range Hunting!

KB