Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Different calibers and loads for a beginner long ranger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

bcjammerx,

Regarding the scope, I'd consider getting more than you think you need for 500 yards and within your budget. A 4.5-14 with a decent reticle is sufficient for almost all needs. However, more is better. A 6.5-20 X 50 will cover almost all bases.

If you are on a budget and will have the starter rifle then up grade keeping only one rife at a time, it may be wise to move the scope from next to next without having to repurchase. Make sense?

Which 308 cal cartrige? If I were doing it again and starting with a factory rifle, I'd get a 300 RUM and put a good brake on it, if I reloaded. If I didn't reload I'd get a 308. One can go a long ways with the 308.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermag
The 308 in something like a Remington VSSF or PSS would be a great starter gun. There are several companies that offer match loads for this cartridge if you don't reload. If your worried about recoil, the 308 is a good choice also especially in these heavy guns.
thanks for the insight, I'll keep that in mind about the black powder. I do like shooting open sites but I've been wanting to get into scope shooting for a while.

I've looked into a few of the remington rifles, the different variations of the 700 that is. I'm still working out which gun, which is why I wanted to get the caliber down first. Thanks for the info thoough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
bcjammerx,

Regarding the scope, I'd consider getting more than you think you need for 500 yards and within your budget. A 4.5-14 with a decent reticle is sufficient for almost all needs. However, more is better. A 6.5-20 X 50 will cover almost all bases.

If you are on a budget and will have the starter rifle then up grade keeping only one rife at a time, it may be wise to move the scope from next to next without having to repurchase. Make sense?

Which 308 cal cartrige? If I were doing it again and starting with a factory rifle, I'd get a 300 RUM and put a good brake on it, if I reloaded. If I didn't reload I'd get a 308. One can go a long ways with the 308.
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense actually. I'll most likely go ahead with a .308 caliber, maybe spend more than I initially planned on the scope...either way eventually sell this gun and get one I can do more with. But for me, especially right now, all I want to get is a good starter setup.

Yesterday I practiced shooting the same yardage I did with my 30-30 with my father-in-laws SKS with a scope. I don't know the type of scope but it's pretty short and it doesn't see very far...100 yards is pretty good...better than open sites of course but not as far as I would like for a scope, I'll have to play with it some more. It was shooting way to the left...so I'm working on getting it zeroed in. It's not much but it's a start, once I get my own I'll go for the far shots.