Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Daughters new gun build MAYBE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 12:13 AM
Bronze Member

Daughters new gun build MAYBE

So heres the deal

My daughter is 13 yrs old. She is my hunting fishing fourwheeling buddy. She has a .243 Howa that she uses deer hunting with me and shooting chucks and coyotes. She has killed loads of rock chucks, coyotes and two nice whitetail bucks. She wants to bear and elk hunt with me do i think the 243 will work for black bear and elk well it is kind of irrelevant cause WA STATE says she has to use .25 cal min for elk. I talked to my gunsmith buddy and he reccomends the 6.5X284 for her. I am stuck she has shot several rifles she is 100lbs and does not like getting kicked I KNOW a brake well she shot my 300 ultramag with a brake and does not like it says it is to loud with the brake. I was thinking 25 WSSM, 25-06, maybe 260 or 270. She loves her 243 and honestly she has impressed me with several shots i thought NOT HAPPENING but she does it. A few weeks ago she was dusting a rock at right at 400 yds. Back on task here what round do u think would be adequate for her to use I would prefer a short action I will have to do some work on it for length of pull etc for her. Maybe a 7mm08? I dont think she will like the .308 if it will kick her.

SO long story short what have u guys built for ur little ones or maybe ur wife? What would u all reccomend for her to use on Elk and Balck Bear?

Thanks in advance for ur opinion and when the build starts i will be sure to let u know.

Thanks
Billy
Old 04-23-2013, 02:09 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Daughters new gun build MAYBE

You have a very hard decision!!! I feel for ya, but I'll give my choices, 257 WBY,280 Remington ,308, 30-06, or my favorite choice would be a 7mm Remington mag. You have lots of choices. Tell me what ya go with, & I might get the same for my girl..
Old 04-23-2013, 03:54 AM
Silver Member

Ear plugs and a Ross Schuler 4 port brake will tame that 30/06 or 308 or whatever you decide , as I have 5 of his brakes and they'rethe best brake out there for $45 .....
Old 04-23-2013, 05:10 AM
Platinum Member

6.5x284 or 260.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by screech View Post
6.5x284 or 260.
I have started a some young ones with the 250 Ackley.
In a light rifle there is not much for recoil at all and very little muzzle blast. From 75 gr up to 120gr bullets you can shoot from varmints to elk. Looking at the case size it is almost identical to the 6.5x47 Lapua. That is where I would go. I like the 6.5 bullet choices.
Cliff
Old 04-23-2013, 07:51 AM
Gold Member

Put a suppressor on whatever you want... Less blast and recoil and you don't have to go minimalist on the cartridge. (Not saying x284 is minimalist.)

Also, is there a rule elsewhere about elk? All I see in the WA rulebook is this:

Quote:
Big game, except cougar, must be hunted with a minimum of .24 caliber (6mm) centerfire rifle. Cougar may be hunted with .22 caliber centerfire rifle. Rimfire rifles are not legal for big game.
243 might still be too small, but it appears to be legal.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Bronze Member

I will have to look at the regs but when we went thru hunters safety ( I did to after hunting 25yrs) it was in the regs then for 25 cal for elk it was actually a test question on the final exam.

Anyway today my daughter shot my buddy Jays 300win mag with a holland brake and hit a 8in gong at 450 yds. I was IMPRESSED and afterwords she said she wanted that same gun to hunt with. I think this is going to get exspensive but she is worth it. NOW I need to let her get a try on my braked ultra mag and see what she thinks.

Mossy- I LOVE THE 257 WTBY. I dont know why i didnt think of that. I will check into it I am a huge 25 cal fan all around. I have a Mark V ultralight in 257 WTBY and it is one of my absolute favorites but in the Ultralight she would not like it i am sure.

Thanks for the opinions guys i will let u know what i decide