Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Custom hunting .30-378

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 08:29 AM

Re: Custom hunting .30-378

Southernfryedyankee
Nope, I haven't shot a 30-378. I know the recoil will be substantial, compared to what I more regularly shoot (30-30,30.06,.270). I have shot larger magnums and reacted well to the recoil. Being that the hunt is not for another year and a half, I wanted to purchase the gun with ample time to get comfortable with the recoil.
Unfortunately, hunting in Alaska will not be a frequent trip, which is actually why I chose the caliber. If I went with a .338, .375, etc., I wouldn't be able to use the rifle for anything but bears, moose, or elk. Deer would be out of the question for those calibers, which would necessitate getting another rifle for deer and other similiar sized game. As you stated, I can vary my loads enough to kill anything from deer to bears, and who knows maybe even african game. (Depending on cal mins of the country of course).
On the subject of hitting the target with what your shootin, I guarantee you that if I can't hit the broadside of a barn with this gun, then I have ample time to figure it out and trade it before the hunt. I'm much more of a RWeatherby/O'Conner follower than an Elmer Keith enthusiast.
Nevertheless, you raised some very good questions, all of which I've toiled with in my decision making process of the last 6months........blah....when is the hunt again....it can't come soon enough!!!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

Don't be worried about the recoil, especially while hunting. I have two 30-378's. One with a brake one without. The brake makes it a pusseycat. I have killed elk, muleys, axis, black buck, aoudad, whitetail, even a few coyote all with my 30-378. never once noticed recoil and all with 210 Bergers. The one with out the brake does thump you a bit if you are tied to it on a bench for several shots but just install a good brake and you will love it. They are nothing to be worried about and by no means does the recoil affect my accuracy.

ps: however, the Elk in my signature was on the other end of my 30-378 and said it kicked like a mule.

Jeff
Old 02-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGbasbhat View Post
Southernfryedyankee
Nope, I haven't shot a 30-378. I know the recoil will be substantial, compared to what I more regularly shoot (30-30,30.06,.270). I have shot larger magnums and reacted well to the recoil. Being that the hunt is not for another year and a half, I wanted to purchase the gun with ample time to get comfortable with the recoil.
Unfortunately, hunting in Alaska will not be a frequent trip, which is actually why I chose the caliber. If I went with a .338, .375, etc., I wouldn't be able to use the rifle for anything but bears, moose, or elk. Deer would be out of the question for those calibers, which would necessitate getting another rifle for deer and other similiar sized game. As you stated, I can vary my loads enough to kill anything from deer to bears, and who knows maybe even african game. (Depending on cal mins of the country of course).
On the subject of hitting the target with what your shootin, I guarantee you that if I can't hit the broadside of a barn with this gun, then I have ample time to figure it out and trade it before the hunt. I'm much more of a RWeatherby/O'Conner follower than an Elmer Keith enthusiast.
Nevertheless, you raised some very good questions, all of which I've toiled with in my decision making process of the last 6months........blah....when is the hunt again....it can't come soon enough!!!!!
Im sure that it is going to be an awesome hunt. Are you building this gun custom? or is going to be a retail bought firearm? I will not lie I have shot a few rifles in my life and when I first got my 7mag the anticipation was there of not knowing what to expect. Upon the first squeeze of the trigger, I WAS SCARED OF THAT GUN after 1 round and put it up. I did some research and found that a GREAT STOCK with a GREAT RECOIL pad can make quite a difference in confidence, accuracy, flinching AND hitting your target. After I switched out my stock from savages tupperware stock with a concrete recoil pad to an AWESOME stock with a 1" Pachmayr recoil pad it was such a night and day change that I no longer feared this awesome gun. If you custom build your 30-378 you have LOTS of options. If you would like to know who I got my stock from PM me. I dont want to give the impression that im trying to hijack threads to sell peoples products, It is what I use and it has served me well for 3 seasons. What scope are you planning for your cannon

Old 02-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Don't be worried about the recoil, especially while hunting. I have two 30-378's. One with a brake one without. The brake makes it a pusseycat. I have killed elk, muleys, axis, black buck, aoudad, whitetail, even a few coyote all with my 30-378. never once noticed recoil and all with 210 Bergers. The one with out the brake does thump you a bit if you are tied to it on a bench for several shots but just install a good brake and you will love it. They are nothing to be worried about and by no means does the recoil affect my accuracy.

ps: however, the Elk in my signature was on the other end of my 30-378 and said it kicked like a mule.

Jeff
Is that a 5x5 elk? Awesome and majestic animal.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGbasbhat View Post
Southernfryedyankee
BG

Don't worry about recoil it will not wound you unless you let the scope get your eye.

Which brings up a good point, I know there are better/more expensive scopes but one
of the reasons I realy like Leupold scopes is because of eye relief.

I don't have muzzel breaks on any of my rifles and on the bigger ones 30/378,338 and
416s I have Leupolds because of the 4+ inches of eye relief because if you are out of
position when you fire you need all you can get.

What ever kind of scope you use be sure and set it as far forward as you can to prevent
adding another eyebrow to your face.( Note: I have never been hit by one of my scopes,
setting them up correctly can make a huge difference.

And on the freebore issue, there are a lot more rifles with freebore than just the RUMs and
Weatherbys.

A lot of manufactures are adding freebore to lower pressures and raise velocitys ( Velocity
Sells ) and I'm sure everyone has noticed that reloading books are getting very conservative
to deal with potential law sutes.

Have fun and post a picture of your first kill and the rifle when you can.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernfryedyankee View Post
Is that a 5x5 elk? Awesome and majestic animal.
Actually it is a 6x6, would have been 6x7 but had the odd one broken off.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernfryedyankee View Post
Im sure that it is going to be an awesome hunt. Are you building this gun custom? or is going to be a retail bought firearm? I will not lie I have shot a few rifles in my life and when I first got my 7mag the anticipation was there of not knowing what to expect. Upon the first squeeze of the trigger, I WAS SCARED OF THAT GUN after 1 round and put it up. I did some research and found that a GREAT STOCK with a GREAT RECOIL pad can make quite a difference in confidence, accuracy, flinching AND hitting your target. After I switched out my stock from savages tupperware stock with a concrete recoil pad to an from AWESOME stock with a 1" Pachmayr recoil pad it was such a night and day change that I no longer feared this awesome gun. If you custom build your 30-378 you have LOTS of options. If you would like to know who I got my stock from PM me. I dont want to give the impression that im trying to hijack threads to sell peoples products, It is what I use and it has served me well for 3 seasons. What scope are you planning for your cannon
The rifle will be purchased retail from SW. It is right down the street from me and frankly, they've let me drool so much over that gun that I figure I owe it to them. Via the title of the thread, I had thought about doing it custom; but was reassured that the Accumark was a good solid platform to shoot/start from.
For now I'll stick with the stock that's on it. the stock is pretty good design and quality to redouce recoil as much as possible, though I probably will put a new pad on it.
As for the scope, I'm thinking a leupold, bushnell elite 6500, or possibly a zeiss. I like the nikon's eyepiece; but the crosshairs are a bit thick for me.
oh yeah, and broz that's a fine bull man. Where did you kill him? You from osage beach, missouri? Growing up in st.charles I spend darn near every summer down near Tan-Tar-A.