Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Custom hunting .30-378

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Custom hunting .30-378

Recoil is not that bad until you start shooting 220g or larger bullets. Shooting this prone can make the shoulder hurt.

I had the Sako model in 30-378, it had the same free bore. Ultramags have the free bore also. I recently did some custom loading for a fellow and his Weatherby mark V 30-378 shot 3/4" at 200yrds (bone stock) with not much load development. I personally have no problem w/ free bore.

When I had mine re-barreled to 30-338lap imp, I had a Limb Saver recoil pad installed. Took a lot of the pain out of the recoil. I have not shot the bigger pills since the re-chamber, so I can't answer for how they feel with the good pad. Get a shoulder pad for at the bench, and you will be fine. You'll never feel it in a hunting situation.

Go get one, hand load a quality bullet built for penetration, and go get your griz.

Steve
Old 02-08-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
Recoil is not that bad until you start shooting 220g or larger bullets. Shooting this prone can make the shoulder hurt.

I had the Sako model in 30-378, it had the same free bore. Ultramags have the free bore also. I recently did some custom loading for a fellow and his Weatherby mark V 30-378 shot 3/4" at 200yrds (bone stock) with not much load development. I personally have no problem w/ free bore.

When I had mine re-barreled to 30-338lap imp, I had a Limb Saver recoil pad installed. Took a lot of the pain out of the recoil. I have not shot the bigger pills since the re-chamber, so I can't answer for how they feel with the good pad. Get a shoulder pad for at the bench, and you will be fine. You'll never feel it in a hunting situation.

Go get one, hand load a quality bullet built for penetration, and go get your griz.

Steve
Thanks Steve. For now I'll probably be shooting 200gr or 220 for the AK trip, so I'll have a good dose of pushback from those. I'm sure a limbsaver will be going on soon after the purchase. Odds are I'll be using the brake most of the time during practice situations; but I might take it off for the hunt....for the sake of my dad and outfitter's ears.
Hmmm, having never really looked into the RUMs, it's interesting to know that the RUMs have freebore also. It's funny that Weatherby always gets hassled for freebore; but the RUMs have the same thing. I suppose it would make sense since the higher pressures.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

Curious as to what bullet you are planning on using? Assuming that you are hand loading.

Steve
Old 02-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGbasbhat View Post
Hmmm, having never really looked into the RUMs, it's interesting to know that the RUMs have freebore also. It's funny that Weatherby always gets hassled for freebore; but the RUMs have the same thing.
Yeah, interesting huh ??

Jeff
Old 02-08-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
Curious as to what bullet you are planning on using? Assuming that you are hand loading.

Steve

My dad and I always handloaded Partitions(except for the 30-30 of course). I know Partitions are a darn good bullet; but I'm open to any suggestions. I'm sure it will also depend on how it shoots out of the gun too.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

It's like, "Which tire is the best"? I used the 200g Accubond w/ good success. Last year I switched to the 180g E-tip. Almost the same bc's as the 200g AB, but higher velocity and 100% weight retention. I am liking the mono metal bullets more and more. I just ordered GS Custom 177g HV's and am very much looking forward to trying them. I have a 1-10 twist which is too slow according to GS for out to 500ryd hunting but a little fast for beyond 500yrd hunting. We'll see how it works through out the range to a 1000yrds or so.

Steve
Old 02-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Silver Member

Just out of curiosity and I am not doubting your shooting ability whatsoever. Have you shot a 30-378 before? I have been told you can hunt almost anything on the planet but the recoil alone is something to be reckoned with. Shot placement is key to any animal you shoot. I know you will be hunting bear so this next sentence is something I had read a long time ago and made complete sense. You can kill a deer with a well placed 243 shot better than a person who never learned to shoot their 300 win mag and completely misses the vitals and wounds the animal or misses the animal completely. Does that make sense. Now if you have shot the 30-378 and you are comfortable with its recoil by all means take the biggest bear you can find (post pics ) And if your not find the largest caliber you can handle accurately and painlessly and make a perfectly well placed shot and THEN post some pics of the trophy. 1 more thing I would like to ask is, is this a rifle you will hunt with for the rest of your life? I mean do you go to Alaska every year to 2 years to hunt? I would just hate to build something so awesome and so expensive just to have it sit in a gun locker or on the wall until the next time I MAY get to use it, just food for thought.

Last edited by Southernfryedyankee; 02-09-2009 at 07:33 AM.