Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Couple of questions on long range with 243 Winchester

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Couple of questions on long range with 243 Winchester

Certainly the 243 with your load should be fine to those distances--assuming you test your dope to that range--don't rely on the ballistics programs calcs. for your data. Mine matches most of the time pretty well to those ranges, but often enough I have to make changes to either the BC of the bullet or MV to get the best true trajectory fit. You've really done your homework well so far--don't drop the ball with this last test.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Bronze Member

Always heard it was 500ft lbs or more
Old 12-27-2013, 08:55 PM

So I am shooting a pretty similar set up as yours. but I am using a berger 105. with 43g of h4831, wlr, lapua brass. It is also an amazing shooter as it sounds like yours is. When I first built the gun I shot 2 times a week for an entire summer. I had no doubt in the accuracy of the rifle. I was ringing 10 inch plates at 1000 yards the first day taking it to distance. anyways over a crono, and the ballistic program and matching them to what im actually shooting, the gun is pushing about 2825. So real close to what you have going. What had me nervous was the talk my buddies gave me with that caliber of 243 win. So numbers speaking the first year hunting with it for mule deer in the high country of Idaho (not small bodied by any means) I set my cut off at 650 yards. That year I shot a buck scoring 172, with pry a low 200lb body at 480 yards. I felt this was a longer shot for the 243 so did not go with the shoulder shot. I went in the crease at the back of the shoulder for penetration. needless to say the buck ran 50 yards and was done. I was amazed how well the bullet performed, (amax should be close). So this year I still had my limit at 650. I killed a old mature mulie with a huge body. Pry over 250lb.I put one in the crease, the buck jumped, stood there, looked around just long enough for me to put another one in the shoulder. And it was a done deal! It crumpled him. It was a 650 yard shot. and skinning the buck I was still amazed at how well both penetrated and caused damage through bone and the vitals. So with my particular setup, what I have seen, and the numbers I have, I will shoot a mule deer to 750yards with this gun. It is very accurate past that, and capable of killing, but feel for myself that's my limit. I did shoot a coyote with it at 780 yards. But that is a much smaller critter obviously. This is very similar to what you should experience with your setup and that amax. However it takes practice!!! I would not have taken any of these shots had I not practiced so much and truthed every distance from 100 yards to 1150 on my chart! As far as your concern with the wind and rain, these are real life conditions, cant always have first light hero conditions while out hunting, I take notes every time I shoot, especially in rain or wind, so when faced with these shots, you have something to look back on, and know how it really effected your shooting. Which is why more practice is good again.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:34 PM
Silver Member

So I'm curious, what twist rate on the barrels do each one of your guns have? My wife has a 243 and I'm going to start working up some loads this year instead of having her shooting the over the counter stuff.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:24 PM

You probably know this but good groups at 100 yards do not always translate into good groups at 4-500 yards and beyond. I have a couple of rifles that shoot many loads near half MOA at 100 but only a few loads that will do the deed at long distance.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:06 AM

I have a kreiger 26 inch, contour 5, 1 in 8. I have also let my girlfriend use this gun to shoot a decent sized mulie. it was 90 yards and bullet did pretty good. She loves shooting this gun, it is a tad heavy so after carrying for a bit its not that great. She has always shot a 270, and after letting her shoot this 243 she was like WOW what have I been doing haha why didn't you let me shoot this sooner! So im sure it will be good enjoyable gun for your wife as well. Guess that means her 270 will the next project!